24" ACD dead

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by throttlemeister, Sep 23, 2010.

1. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

Today I dropped off my 24"ACD to be repaired. The LED backlight gave up, and though the panel is still ok it remains awfully dark without backlight. ;) Screen is 18 months old. It is being repaired under warranty, but I do feel a screen this expensive should not break after just 18 months.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

2. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Wow, disappontment alright. So you had AppleCare for it? Perhaps this is the confirmation I should buy it (I was on the fence, I've only had it a month).

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It happens sometimes. Statistically speaking, it's pretty rare, but no manufacturer can get a 100% perfect run. I've repaired several (used to work for a Mac shop), for a variety of problems, so yeah, it can happen. Still really good monitors.

On the AppleCare question, keep in mind it may be covered by your computer's AppleCare if you bought them together (or sometimes even if you bought them close to the same time), so check on that first.

jW

4. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

my macbook pro screen went defective within 6 months of owning it (full horizontal line of dead pixels out of nowhere, fully replaced under warranty), sometimes a defective product gets through, no matter how expensive it is.

5. CanadianMac2008 macrumors member

Unfortunately these things do happen - as previous poster noted, it's impossible to have a product line that never has issues. Having your one monitor fail doesn't mean it's a bad product or that you paid too much for it, it is simply one case out of thousands or even millions. Now, if there were a high percentage of users who were having them die suddenly, then that might speak to a poor product. Your one case alone however can never be a testament to how great or how awful a product is. People forget that unfortunately.

Ultimately, warranties aren't bought on the belief that the product being purchased is poor quality, they're bought for the piece of mind that the consumer has in knowing they won't have to fork anything out of pocket in the event they do end up as one of the unlucky ones. Unfortunately, there's no way to know if you'll be that person that has something go wrong. And if you don't have the protection and something does go wrong, you're more likely to have a negative impression of the company than if you had had the protection and it was promptly taken care of.