24" ACD LED LCD's AppleCare Replacement

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 3282868, Apr 30, 2012.

1. 3282868, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2012

3282868 macrumors 603

I have 2 24" Apple displays with AppleCare. Apple stopped the 24" displays when they revamped the iMac line to 27" models (the displays are the same panels that the iMac's use). I'm experiencing some burn-in and a few pixels are dead. If I were to have them replaced, are 24" panels/displays still in stock or would it be the 27" model (which I can't imagine Apple allowing)?

Thanks!

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Why not do the obvious - ask Apple? They're the only people who are going to be able to give you a sensible answer.

3. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

1) If I report it they'll have it on record and if the 24" panels are still available I'd rather wait and play it safe if 27" panels are the only option (hey, why not?)

2) it takes a certain amount of dead pixels in order to qualify as defective.

Thus, getting answers here might save me from this. Of course calling Apple is A solution, but I'd rather not have it on record if 24" models/panels are still produced. :)

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Just a quick Google reveals plenty of 24" displays for sale...New. Howver, Apple themselves are not listing them. I would be surprised if they would replace yours. If they could repair ir economically that might be an option, otherwise you might find yourself offered a new 21.5" I seriously doubt that your plan on getting a 27" is going to work, but the only way to find out is to contact Apple.

Just because they are not listing these displays for sale does not mean they don't have them in repair facilities....Remember, they have to cover owners who took out Applecare on their Macs.

5. 3282868, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2012

3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Yeah, figured that *sigh*. I have had one instance in which an APP covered product that needed replacement but was no longer available that Apple allowed me to pay the difference between the price paid for the product and the current available model.

I believe Samsung or LG makes/made their 24" LED LCD's. As it's been since early 2009 that Apple sold them new/refurbished, I'd be surprised if they still had them in their repair centers (24" iMac's/displays were replaced by 27" panels). My displays are covered until 2013, maybe I'll wait it out a bit longer ;)

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Apple can replace like items even years after AppleCare expires. People with U2 iPods or original iPhones can still get out-of-warranty replacements.

7. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

i wouldn't live with a display w/ dead pixels and burn in for a day lol, why buy such an expensive display and warranty and live with a subpar experience on the slim off chance it might get upgraded if you take it for repair... good luck with your strategy... i guess.

8. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Never said it was awful, just a few tiny issues that may worsen but certainly not dampening my work, but thanks for your productive comment. I guess. :)

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Technically LCDs don't get burn in. What they do get is sometimes called "persistence" or "image retention." Often this can be reversed by displaying the opposite image for 24-48 hours.

Anyway, chances are Apple will simply replace your display with an identicle 24" model. Most likely a refurbished unit. Also, unless the guidelines have changed since I worked in an Apple service center, Apple has strict policies about how many pixels have to be bad for the display to qualify for replacement.