24" ACD - no brightness control in yosemite?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by puma1552, Feb 15, 2015.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Just tried turning down my brightness on my 2008 24" ACD, and realized that the brightness slider is gone from the display preferences.

Quick google search yielded this, but it's for Mavericks and the 24" isn't listed as obsolete:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203799

Did they add the 24" to the obsolete list when Yosemite came out? This was a goddamn $1000 display, why would you obsolete a freakin' display when you've continually failed to introduce a worthwhile upgrade like a retina display? This display is still sublime.

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Do you have the USB cable plugged in? Brightness controls work fine on these displays.

3. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

yeah but still no slider to adjust?

4. chrfr macrumors 603

I have a slider in the Displays system preference, and the keyboard buttons work. There's no adjustment in the Displays menubar item.

5. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

no slider in my system preferences display window for the ACD. theres of course one for the display window in system preferences for the laptop screen, and the keyboard buttons work for the laptop screen like always, but no slider at all in the system preferences display window on the ACD:confused:

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Again, be sure you have the USB cable connected. The display should show as a USB device in the System Information application. If it doesn't, then perhaps your display is not working correctly.
    Also, to clarify, is this the older Cinema Display with the matte screen and all aluminum housing (it's actually a 23") or the later 24" LED Cinema Display with the all glass black front?

7. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Indeed it is connected, and just restarted it as well. It's the later 24" glass ACD they released in '08.

FWIW I just tried plugging my iPad Air 2 and my touch 5G into the USB port on the back and neither charged.

EDIT: I'm a complete idiot - I had the USB cable plugged into my laptop's ethernet port, bizarre that it slid right in there.

Plugged into the USB port, everything works and I have a display brightness slider. Thanks for the help!