24" ACD Substitute?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hot Snowboarder, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

I, like many others, have given up on the possibility of interoperability between my DVI equipped MBP and Apples new LED display.

What displays from other manufactures are as well designed and would complement my MBP aesthetics?

Requirements:
    At least 22"
    USB Hub
    Excellent image quality

Appreciate any comments. Thanks.

One last question - Is it still worth trying to pick up a 23" ACD at a reasonable price?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Yes the Apple ACD is still a good display assuming you get one without technical faults. http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php That has a lot of IPS displays on, which will offer you the better picture. Dell's 24" UltraSharps are also good, but have faults (as do all displays) and an IPS display might be a better option.

Personally I'd only be looking at DoubleSight/Hazro (same company I believe, different regions), HP or NEC.

3. jimmypopjr macrumors regular

Umbongo - What faults with the 24" ACD? I just bought one and would like to know what I should be looking for before the return/exchange period expires.

Thanks!

4. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Here are alternatives all of which are equal or surpass the quality of the cinema display.
    Dell 2408wfp (S-PVA)
    HP LP2475w (H-IPS same panel as LED 24)
    LaCie 324 (S-PVA 10 bit color per channel - 40 bit deep color - built in hardware calibration)
    245t (S-PVA)

If your using the screen for watching movies or looking at photos, the S-PVA screens will look best. If your doing color correction or printwork the HP or the 10 bit Lacie is best. The Lacie is probably the best overall screen offering the great color accuracy of the HP with the contrast ratio of the 2408wfp. I'd consider the 2408wfp to be the best value, and the LaCie to be the best for graphics followed by the HP, but all of them would do great for graphics as they all have 178 degree view angles.

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I was refering to the 23" ACD, but both have plenty of documented issues on these and the official Apple forums.

http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=111

6. Hot Snowboarder thread starter macrumors 6502