24" ACD vs. new iMac ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lixe, Jan 26, 2010.

1. lixe macrumors member

Hello,
    I'm using a Macbook 13" Late 2008 and am thinking about a new monitor. A 24" ACD would be very nice, but I would like to know whether the 24" ACD and the new iMacs have the same picture quality, because if it's so I would rather buy a new iMac instead of an ACD :)
    As far as I know they both use S-IPS Panels. And the new iMac "only" has EdgeLED (-> brighter edges seem to happen often). But I couldn't find any information about the ACD. Does the ACD have Full LED Backlight??? Or is the color space wider?
    I want to use it for office stuff but also for some photoshop... so an Eizo would also be very nice ;) but if the ACD can keep up with a comparable Eizo I would of course buy an ACD!

Thanks!

2. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I used to have a Nanao monitor, which is what Eizo was called before their name change. What an excellent monitor that was.

Anyway, I know exactly what you mean as far as your dilemma goes. I also use my MBP to dabble in Lightroom, Aperture, and occasionally Photoshop. I was pretty much certain that I am going to get a 27" iMac, but there are all these reports about their screen issues. From what I know, the displays on new iMacs and ACD are very similar (if not identical). So, after deciding about what to do for the last month or two, I just ended up ordering a refurbished ACD from the Apple store. I've been using the monitor for the last couple of weeks, and it really is fantastic. Mine arrived in an absolutely pristine condition and I love it. Also, if you use Lightroom, you probably know that it is very well suited to a double screen operation. I have the ACD right next to my 17" MBP (which is on mStand) and I like the setup.

Good luck!

3. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I have a 24" ACD and 27-inch iMac and love both of them but the iMac screen is a higher res and better quality. Then again the iMac screen is too high res for my 50 year old eyes a lot of the time whereas the 24" ACD is just about perfect for me.