24" ACD yellowing over time?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ShiftClick, Dec 9, 2011.

1. ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

So I bought a refurbished 24" ACD last March and its been great. This week everything that should be white looks yellow to me. I've heard this complaint before on other equipment but it always seemed like that was how it came not something that transpired over time. Has this happened to anyone else and was it something that Apple replaced/fixed your display? I have apple care. Thanks for any help

2. Nordichund macrumors 6502

Hi first of all before you do anything have you calibrated your screen? If not do so because that is on of the first questions that you will probably be asked.
    Since you have Apple care and your screen is less then a year old then just call Apple support and take it from there. Good luck

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

A distinction needs to be made between calibration and profiling. Apple displays have no accessible hardware level LUTs. Generating a profile for a display is similar to a printing device. If it's close, it may get it a bit closer. I would check the profile assigned to it in system preferences. Neither of us can really see what the OP is looking at here, but if it's going truly yellow using the base profile within under a year of use, that is a hardware problem. Defining an altered profile through your suggested method isn't lossless, and it doesn't counter display aging.

Edit: They shouldn't ask if you calibrated it as Apple doesn't even suggest any means of proper calibration.

Next thing is all of these displays do shift over time. If it's excessive and the display is newer, which it is here, you probably have a case. All of them age over time. Some go a bit faster than others, but I've seen plenty of this before. Typically you should be able to expect two years of heavy use out of a display before you experience any real issues with this kind of stuff. Overall there are a lot of things I liked about the 24" more than the current ones. Tell me, did you buy it from Apple? I haven't seen the 24s listed refurb in a very long time.