24" Apple Cinema Display died ... :(

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lars666, Apr 20, 2011.

1. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Hello everybody,

my 24" Apple Cinema Display went black a few hours ago ... :( No picture at all anymore. A few hours before its death, it suddenly went a bit darker by itself for the first time (even although it still was on highest brightness setting) - before today, I never had any problems. I use the ACD on my Late 2008 MacBook Pro via MiniDisplay Port. The USB ports on the display are still powered, so is the charger for the MacBook Pro. I guess the power cord must be fine then, or is there a possibility that it is somehow damaged in a way that still powers the USB ports etc., but not (enough) the monitor itself for a picture ...?! (I only ask this because I found a lot of internet forum cases with older models - 20" and 23" - where indeed a broken power brick/cord was the problem ...)

Can I stil have hope or did my LED panel just died? I have no other monitor here to check the MiniDisplay port. (Or another Mac to plug the ACD in - for the same test in reverse ...)

Last info: It was a quite hot day here and the back of my ACD was quite hot, too. Any chance that there's some "protection mode" inside of the ACD turning off itself at a special temperature? Anyway, this is a very, very small hope as it - if this really is the case - should have been cold enough now to work again. (Also, we had a lot of much hotter days last year when the ACD worked without problem ...)

If you have any hint, would be nice if you could let me know. Thanks a million in advance!

2. jessecoane macrumors newbie

The same thing happened to me. Have a 24" LED ACD hooked up to a 2009 27" imac. For the past year I never had a problem till yesterday. Got up for 20 mins and then sat back down and it's black. Tried hooking it up to my macbook, letting the PMU reset by leaving it unplugged, zapping the pram etc. Nothing. Gonna take it to the genius bar tomorrow, but I have a feeling that isn't gonna do much.

3. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

4. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi jesse,

I can feel your pain. Strange coincidence that the same thing happened to you yesterday, exactly like here. There was no software update yesterday, was there ...?! It really happened out of the blue and it sucks, especially as I bought my Cinema Display only 7 days (!) after my MacBook Pro including AppleCare - which means that, if I only bought them together, I would still have it under warranty ...

Also tried the PRAM reset - no luck. As I have no other Mac and no other monitor here, I can't do more tests at the moment. Will get a Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter in a few days so that I can at least test if mabye the Mini Display port died and not the monitor itself. Which would be a HUGE relief, because - as mentioned - my MacBook Pro is still covered under AppleCare ...

Please let me know the result of your Genius Bar meeting, if possible. Thanks.

5. jessecoane macrumors newbie

I bought my ACD refurbed through the apple store. Has a 1 year warranty. That was 1 year and 14 days ago, haha. I tested my display-port on the iMac and it works.

Have you tried leaving it unplugged from the computer and the wall for 15 mins?

6. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, already tried this. No effect.

If you are really only 14 days out of warranty, you could be lucky that - if the monitor really is dead - Apple will still repair/exchange it for free. I've heard of case where people even were two or three months over their normal warranty period. It's worth a try.

7. jessecoane macrumors newbie

Good to know. Well see what they say tomorrow.

thanks

8. jessecoane macrumors newbie

Just got back from the apple store. They are fixing it free of charge. They couldn't have been cooler. They can fix it in house and will have it back in a day or 2. Didn't even want to hear a sob story about how the warranty just expired. Worth a shot bringing it in to a genius, even if the warranty expired.

9. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm happy to hear this. Unfortunately, my Cinema Display is already two and a half years old. If I had bought it together with my MacBook Pro on the same invoice, it would have been still covered by Apple Care (as my MacBook Pro HAS the protection plan and covers an ACD for free if purchased together). However, as I bought the monitor only 14 days (!) later, it probably won't be repaired for free. Will call Apple Care nevertheless and try my best ... But again, I'm happy that it already worked out for you. Congrats!

10. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

Yea I doubt they'll fix it, but maybe you'll get lucky :D