24" Cinema Display/13" MacBook Pro--differing color temperature?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by REVOLUTION GUNS, Jul 4, 2009.

1. REVOLUTION GUNS macrumors newbie

Just picked up a 24" Cinema Display and I'm in love. However, I've just noticed quite a difference in color temperature between it and my 13" MacBook Pro. I've gone through all of the provided color profiles in System Preferences\Displays\Color\Display Profiles, but no matter which I select, the two displays don't exactly match.

I'm not a display expert by any stretch of the means, and I don't have access to a hardware calibrator. All I can really say is that the Cinema Display seems a bit warmer/more yellow than the MacBook Pro and that the MacBook Pro looks like it might be a bit more red in addition to being cooler, overall.

Anyone out there with similar observations or solutions?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

This is normal, all displays will typically vary in color temperature. A friend of mine has a PowerBook G4 and I think the display is very yellow compared to my MacBook Pro. You might try software calibration to see if that can help alleviate the problem, if not, there are some threads on MacRumors where people have posted color profiles for displays so you can try those to see if you can get a better result. Otherwise it might be worth it to get a cheap hardware calibrator :)

3. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

The only way to properly fix this is to get a hardware calibrator. You can get them from Amazon or other online sites for pretty reasonable prices. Entry level models start below $100.

If it's not super important to you (i.e. not important enough for you to spend the money on) then just try to eyeball them as close as you can get it. I'd recommend trying to calibrate yourself to equalize the two rather that fish around blindly with the profiles of others on these forums or elsewhere- it's shooting in the dark and you're better off just calibrating on your own.

Some advice though, if you are intending to do things like print your digital photos out, a hardware calibrator can pay for itself pretty fast by saving you from printing pictures and having the colors come out nothing like what you expected, forcing you to waste ink/paper (or spend more money for reprints, if using an online print service) as you try to guestimate the colors on the screen to be equal to what's being printed. When I send pictures to get printed online they always come back exactly as I expect and I have never had to send it back for re-print. This saves me both time and money.

Ruahrc

4. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

Would it have anything to do with TN panel (MBP) vs. H-IPS panel (24" ACD)?

I really like the screen quality of my MBP, but then I use an iMac and always think, "Damn, that's much nicer."