24" Cinema Display and i7 iMac display, Should they look the EXACT same?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maf2k8, Jul 12, 2010.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Purchased a brand new 27" i7 imac a few weeks ago, display is awesome!!! I was using my old 28" LCD monitor from my PC and running dual displays on the iMac.

The 28" LCD monitor annoyed me a bit because i could not get the same color/crispness/brightness that i got from the iMac. ( also it has a Matt screen and i am more into the glossy screens ) So i found a used 24" cinema display locally. Paid 600.00 and it came with 2 yrs of AppleCare. It is only 7 months old ( still have 5 months under orignal warranty )

Got home, hooked it up and it had a "hint" of yellowness to it, It wasn't a exact image of my iMacs display...I tried to calibrate it also, but it still had just a HINT of yellowness....Nothing at all major, but enough for me to be annoyed with it.

Took it to the Apple store and they are replacing the LCD on it.

I am curious, Once they do replace it,Will this most likely fix the issue?

I am expecting the 24" cinema display and the 27" imac to look IDENTICAL in color/quality/brightness.

Should they be identical? or is that not possible?

Does anyone else run a 24 and iMac together and are they the "exact same"?

Just curious if i wasting my time hoping for them to be the same?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Have you calibrated them? If not then I'd not expect them to be identical. I'd not even expect any 2 displays of the same make/model to be identical unless they were calibrated.

3. maf2k8 thread starter macrumors 6502

"I tried to calibrate it also, but it still had just a HINT of yellowness"

4. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

Did you use a hardware calibrator like the spyder 3 pro or did you just use the built in software. If you used the software then thats the problem. You can't get good results from software based calibration you need a hardware device.

I should mention I have my macbook pro monitor matching exactly to my 24" cinema display thanks to my spyder 3 pro.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I use the same. It really is an excellent device.

6. photogy macrumors member

sorry wrong op!

7. photogy macrumors member

question about brightness control on HCD..i have 24 HCD, MBP 15 & S3 and find that even when calibrated, there is a V slight difference...i just put this down to 2 different screens and the eye seeing a smaller 15" as apposed to large 24".

how do you set your brightness control to automatic on the HCD?

MBP has the auto brightness set so that changes fine for ambient light..but the HCD always starts on full brightness and i have to change all day as i am in a bright room at home!

thanks,