24" cinema display condensation problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by knarzie, Oct 1, 2010.

1. knarzie macrumors regular

I have just noticed (haven't used it in several days) that there is water behind/under the glass panel of my 24" cinema display. :eek:

I've taken a picture of it, albeit not a very good one. The display is 18 month old and no apple care, so getting it looked at or fixed would not be for free. At this point in time, because it is 'only' the size of a small fist and on the right hand side, it I don't actually look at it. All my work is word/emails etc so I am not willing to spend a lot on getting it fixed (yet).

My questions are:

Does anyone know what causes this? How dangerous is this? (i.e. will the water eventually damage/break the entire thing? And what sort of costs am I looking at to get it fixed? I know, fairly general questions and probably no definite answers. The next apple store is a 40 mile drive for me so at this point in time I am fairly reluctant to take it there unless necessary. I am assuming the display isn't sealed properly somehwere. How do I know this (apart from the water of course)? a few months ago i had a tiny black bug crawling across my screen. Also behind the glass panel :( I didn't bother doing anything back then because it was already out of warranty. Wonder if there's a little bug rotting away somehwere right now :eek:

Anyway, thanks for reading this, if you got any suggestions, please let me know!

Attached Files:

2. dave12345 macrumors regular

you should be able to remove the glass yourself and give it a wipe

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

This problem comes up sometimes with apple's screens be it a stand alone or imac, as always it's apple care and apple that should and will set this right due to product fault. Contact Apple.