24" cinema display guts, in iMac 27" Shell?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eskomo021, Sep 1, 2011.

1. eskomo021 macrumors newbie

I'd like to be able to afford a 27" cinema display to match my iMac 27" but i can't justify shelling out 1000 bucks just for a display haha. I'm wondering if it'd be possible to buy a 27" imac shell, stand, lcd, and glass. And take the guts of a 24" cinema display, logic board, power supply, etc. and get it to run just like a 27" cinema display.. I'm not very familiar with all the little parts and components that are involved with apple's cinema displays, as they do a pretty good job of keeping all that stuff under wraps (at least i couldn't find anything)

I'm just wondering if this is possible, without it being a huge pain in the neck.. I'd love to take on a little project like this, and if it's at all possible i'd like to give it a shot!

2. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

By the time you're done, the time and money combined you spend on a project like that, you probably would've been able to buy a 27" Cinema Display.

If you really feel like you have to though... Check iFixIt. All the power to you.

3. eskomo021 thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured it was most likely more trouble than it's worth. But figured i may as well ask. I started looking up individual parts after i made the post and realized it'd get expensive quick. The whole point of the project would be to save money, oh well! Haha, just a thought.

4. DaveGee, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

DaveGee macrumors 6502a

Look at it this way... Try building a new car from dealer parts.... A 20k car will likely cost you 40k or more. Which is one reason stripping a car is so attractive. OTOH, if you were to find someone selling a non working display where the panel seemed to be intact you might be able to save a few bucks .. Provided the panel itself was indeed good AND you had the skills necessary to repair it.

The big problem with today's ultra thin panels are the fact they ARE ultra thin... The LCD and the assorted defusers and backlighting are almost always 'fused' into a single sandwich... So looking at a dead panel that by all outward appearances seems 'okay' could still be worthless if the backlighting is shot.