24" cinema display - Thunderbolt Display - rMBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gonzo3333, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

I was just wondering if this would be possible or if I would run into some problems. I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a rMBP as well as a Thunderbolt display. In theory could I connect the 24" Cinema Display to the rMBP through the second Thunderbolt port on the computer with the Thunderbolt display plugged into the first Thunderbolt port? Also, if this is possible, I think I will need to buy an extension cord for the Mini Displayport, any solid recommendations for the extension cord? Almost everywhere I have looked there seem to be reviews stating that the extension cord does not work.

Thanks.

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I can't speak to the extension cord....

Yes You should be able to connect the ACD to the second Thunderbolt port. Someone else can verify, but there shouldn't be any issue with that since the rMBP has two Thunderbolt ports.

3. Gonzo3333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Excellent! That was the kind of answer I was looking for. I guess I just have two more questions.

1) Do the refurbished Thunderbolt displays come with the Magsafe 1 - Magsafe 2 adaptors just like the Apple has been including it with the new Thunderbolt displays?

2) If I were to buy both the rMBP and a refurbished Thunderbolt display together from the Apple store online then a few months later purchase AppleCare for the rMBP would AppleCare be active on the display as well as the laptop?

4. djmac79 macrumors newbie

I have 13in rmbp with 24in ACD and 27in TBD and works as you described (one monitor in each of the two thunderbolt ports).

You can really notice the DPI difference in the two monitors though. It's funny the ACD didn't seem 'old' until I got the 27in and now the 24 just looks bad.

I'm also looking at a minidp extension cable to clear up the cable mess a bit. Interested to see what others recommend here too.

Cheers