24" Display comparable to the iMacs Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thumper, Feb 16, 2008.

1. thumper macrumors 6502

thumper

i got a MacBook Pro instead of the iMac
    but now i really want that big screen :eek:

is there a good display thats comparable to the
    one apple used???

2. chelsel macrumors 6502

I was strongly considering the NEC 2490wuxi http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=a46240bd-a846-4de7-b644-bd7f0b7e6ece for its next generation panel technology. The only thing preventing me from going that route is the dot-pitch... the OS X font smoothing algorithm benefits greatly from a smaller dot-pitch (like the one used on the Apple Cinema Displays). I'll probably hold out until the end of the month to see if there's any update on the Apple displays.

3. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Samsung Syncmaster 245BW:

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...=monitors&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LS24HUBCFV/XAA

I have 2 of these for my set up at work, and wish I could bring them home. They look great, and you cannot beat the price for the size. You should be able to find it for under $500 easily. When I bought mine, I was planning on getting only 1 screen, but I found them online for $350/each and ended up purchasing a pair.

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

The 24" ultrasharp Dell has to be worth considering .. :)

5. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

New Ultrasharp 2408 just came out yesterday. I'm probably going to get it and try to run it on my Macbook. Seems like an ACD killer, finally.

After doing some research it seems that despite being almost two years old still expensive, the 23 inch ACD is still very competitive with the other stuff that is out there. Kind of tells you how pathetic the other hardware manufactures are. Thank god I don't have to buy PCs from them. But this Ultrasharp at $200 cheaper might have finally put the ACD out of its missery.

6. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The specs and the price is very nice. Dell hasn't shown me what it looks like on the other side. The card reader is a waste and some FW400 ports would have been nice, but for $200 less I can live without them, or grab a PCI card.

7. macgruder macrumors 6502

The Dell 2408WFP (widescreen) has a 24 inch 6 ms (g2g) S-PVA (Samsung) panel whereas the ACD 23" has a S-IPS panel. So if you are doing pro color work the ACD is better. The best is probably the NEC.

What many people don't realise is that panels are made by only 2 or 3 companies, and updates often come as the panel is updated - especially for ACDs. Why change it if the panel has not been updated by LG.Philips and is already the best?

So the Dell is $200 cheaper but for color work not as good - better for games and movies though.

8. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I second Our Father, and advise calibration, plus a few Hail Mary's too.

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Bless you my son .. :cool:

ps
    The Spyder 2 Pro is highly recommended. I calibrate my 30" Dell every two weeks.

10. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Spyder 2 Pro, eh? I'll look into that one for myself. Thanks FJ!

11. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I think I'm going to go for the dell 248 display, I know it isn't as good as the 2408 but I dont think the 2408 is worth twice the price for home use and programming.

12. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

What's the difference Dell E248WFP vs. Dell Ultrasharp 2408?

Does the NEC have an S-IPS like the ACD otherwise I can't understand why its any good?

13. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

From what I can see it's the contrast and brightness.

I think for normal everyday use the 248 is more than enough

14. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

That unit would have the same DPI as a iMac 24" or any other 24" 1920x1200 monitor. It will just be slightly less then the 23" Cinema Display.

15. robcoles macrumors newbie

As far as I can tell all the underlying panels are either LG Phillips or Samsung,
    at work we use a lot of dell ultrasharp displays, some time back these were LG Phillips based ( 1905FP for example) but as time has moved on they have switch to Samsung panels in their higher end monitors.

I believe the ACD's have a typical contrast of 700:1 wherease 1000:1 is more standard in other price comparable monitors

What about the monitors color is technically not as good? - or is this a personal preference thing - I can't find any data on this

After considering buying a 24" monitor for home recently, I was initially looking at a dell ( which seems to be widely praised on the web ) However I eventually went for the recently releaseed samsung 2493HM
    which newegg have for the bargin price of about 500USD.
    I assume the panel may also be used by Dell in their newest 24".,

I'd recommend the monitor to all, especially if, like me, you don't need either the USB hub, card reader or adjustable stand. It does take a bit of calibration to get right a there is no "built-in" setting as there seemed to be for my old dell monitor.

16. macgruder macrumors 6502

It's a S-IPS monitor, and this is the well-documented strength of such monitors. Same goes for the NEC which is an H-IPS monitor.

17. danny_w macrumors 601

I have the new iMac 24" at work and I love it, and was also looking for something comparable for home use with my MB. I just bought a Gateway FHD2400 that is beautiful. Yes I know it's a TN panel, but unless you are doing highly color sensitive work or need the viewing angle of an IPS panel, you may not need one for home use. I have/had a Dell 2005fpw display with an IPS screen, and the Gateway still looks very good to me, the touch sensitive menu controls are elegant, and the case design is very much like Apple would do. And it has every input you could ever want - HDMI, DVI, VGA, S-Video, Component, and Composite. You might want to give it a look.

18. robcoles macrumors newbie

Link

Thanks,

Found this link that compares S-IPS, S-PVA/MVA and TN panels relative merits.
    http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

It appears S-IPs is best for accurate color reproduction / larger viewing angles.
    S-PVA for high contrast ratios.
    TN for high speed.

Pick which matters to you most!