24" Flat Panel for $800 - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amz1, Jun 24, 2009.

1. amz1 macrumors newbie

I'm looking at external monitors to use together with a new MBP (13"). I'm puzzled that Apple's 24" monitor is so much more expensive than what I'm seeing elsewhere. For example, Amazon has other brands of 24" monitors for about $200. What am I missing? Is there something about Apple's version that justifies this price? Or will I do just as well with another brand?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice you may have!

Abe Z.

2. qacjared macrumors regular

It's the type and quality of the screen that is used.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple display is very high quality and expensive LED IPS panel.

I have BenQ E2400HD and it's enough for me.

4. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Apple's LED display uses one of the best quality panels available. Those $200 monitors you see are inferior TN panels. Look around for H-IPS panels with LED backlighting and you'll see that Apple's display is very competitively priced. Add in the fact that it has a Magsafe connector, iSight camera and mic, and built in speakers, and you have a downright bargain for $800.

5. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

The connectivity of the ACD sucks though. You can't hook it up to anything other than an intel mac (no PC's, gaming systems, etc)

6. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

If you are using it to color correct photos it means the world of difference.
    If not, buy a cheapie.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're using it to color correct photos, you should be using a matte display. :p

8. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

True, but more specifically, you should be using a matte display with an S-IPS or an H-IPS panel.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Honestly why are the built-in speakers and the iSight even a selling point? Any Mac that can be used with those displays already has an iSight, and the speakers suck.

10. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Yeah... speakers on monitors are rarely, if ever, very good.

Consider the HP LP2475W if you need colour-correction; good quality/cost, IMO. If you don't need 1900x1200, the Dell 2209WA has had some praise.

Not to mention, using a monitor with a port that the rest of the world uses is nice too. MDP is based off of DisplayPort, which I like, but... Not really compatible with displayport, either.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Mac Mini? But yea, nobody needs those because Macs already have them

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

ok, you got me. The mini sucks anyways :p

13. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

That's debateable...But Mac mini and Mac Pro both would benefit from it. Plus, your notebook is either on the side of the display or in clamshell mode. If its on the left or right side of the display, why would you want sound being heard from just 1 side instead of centered? And if your Macbook is in clamshell mode, then the speaker on it can't really be heard.

And using the same point, why wouldn't you want your notebook camera to be right in front of you to get a CENTER view of you?