24 hours - a challenge

superted666

Guest
Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
422
0
here's a idea!

starting now you have 24 hours from me creating this post.
The challenge is to take the best picture in these following hours and submit them to this thread.

Testing peoples imagination here - not really a competition but this could be real fun...

On your marks
Get set

GO!
 

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
2,383
0
Vermontana
superted666 said:
here's a idea!

starting now you have 24 hours from me creating this post.
The challenge is to take the best picture in these following hours and submit them to this thread.

Testing peoples imagination here - not really a competition but this could be real fun...

On your marks
Get set

GO!
Hm. It's a good idea, but it needs some direction. Maybe a themed shoot, or a type of lens, or a color, or an object would help. Asking for the "best picture" is somewhat uninspiring.
 

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
1,306
26
Minnesota
Scarlet Fever said:
ive started to muck around with macros on my sister's digital camera, and i came out with these. No editing done (because i don't know photoshop :p)
Creepy, I've been taking macro guitar shots all day for this thread....:eek:
 

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
1,952
0
District of Columbia
Buschmaster said:
Creepy, I've been taking macro guitar shots all day for this thread....:eek:
i'm not a photographer, but what if the challenge is to take a macro shot of something in your household? i think that would be a cool 24-hours challenge.

anything 24 related, actually
 

Seventy5

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2006
19
0
Dundee, Scotland
Hay bails

This is the second thread I've posted this to, but it was this thread that made me venture out at 23:30 last night!

_DSC200920060908-002206.JPG

The scene is lit entirely by the moon and you can make out the trails of The Plough constellation. The car lights on the right hand side were a conscious decision, although unexpected when I set up.
 

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
1,952
0
District of Columbia
Seventy5 said:
The scene is lit entirely by the moon and you can make out the trails of The Plough constellation. The car lights on the right hand side were a conscious decision, although unexpected when I set up.
Nice. How long was the exposure time? Are the car lights one car or more than one car?
 

Seventy5

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2006
19
0
Dundee, Scotland
More info...

@all - Glad you like the photo. It's the first time I've dabbled with long night time exposures. I think I'll be doing it again though!

@savar - The basic EXIF is as follows:
Camera: Nikon D200
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 17mm
Shutter/Aperture: 361.60 sec (6 mins) @ F/8
Lens: Nikon 17-55mm F/2.8 G DX
I had the white balance cranked up to 6300 K, which is why it looks warm and daylighty.

Just one car passed that way, but previously another had passed oncoming. I didn't like the white lights, but the red seems okay. I made a few images, but this one seems to combine the best of all the others.

Thanks for all your comments. Maybe I'll post here more often!

Steve
 

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
1,253
0
Daegu, South Korea
...and he ain't never comin' back.



Camera model: PENTAX Optio W10
Date/Time: 2006:09:08 14:51:01
Resolution: 576 x 792
Flash used: No
Focal length: 6.3mm (35mm equivalent: 38mm)
Exposure time: 0.050 s (1/20)
Aperture: f/3.3
ISO equiv.: 200
Exposure bias: -0.70
Whitebalance: Auto
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure Mode: Auto bracketing
converted using Convert to B&W pro plugged into CS2

In the forest near where I live, I went for my usual run and looked for the 24 hr. challenge picture. Nothing really caught my eye, although I did see a snake and some interesting grass. I didn't know if the snake was a biter and I didn't have time to compose the grass. I figured I was out of luck until I saw the place where old Korean folk rest sometimes.
 

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
596
0
Lincoln, NE
freebooter said:
In the forest near where I live, I went for my usual run and looked for the 24 hr. challenge picture. Nothing really caught my eye, although I did see a snake and some interesting grass. I didn't know if the snake was a biter and I didn't have time to compose the grass. I figured I was out of luck until I saw the place where old Korean folk rest sometimes.
That picture is eerie. :shudder: But I do like the way you set it up.
 

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
2,713
485
A geographical oddity
Chip NoVaMac said:
Some of us need more notice.Though that does not always work:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=203704
I have to agree with Chip. My 24 hours from 11am yesterday until today - work, meet a friend for 1 hour, wait for Lori to get home, go to bed, get up, work. I'm sure I would have a picture worth taking if I had noticed the thread earlier. Besides, it was opening night for the NFL...:)

And, Chip, I'm sorry I didn't post there. I was still way too intimidated by this forum at the time. Too many amazing photographers here. Made me feel really inadequate. Now, I'm only mildly intimidated...:eek:
 

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
1,669
60
San Jose, CA
8-Sep-06. On the Way to Work.

Camera: Panasonic DMC-FX7
Focal Length: 5.8mm (35mm FF equiv)
Exposure: 1/80s @ f/2.8, anti-shake enabled
ISO: 100

BMW Head-Up display is larger in real life than shown here.

 

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
1,253
0
Daegu, South Korea
Seventy5 said:
@freebooter - Bags of atmosphere in there. Like it. I feel I could just step through the frame into the scene on the other side!

Steve
Thanks, there is something peculiar and compelling about a mirror outside in nature.
The rest spot itself has been used for a long time, I think, and so has accumulated some "vibes." Here I have sometimes seen (and heard) old Korean men doing some kind of loud, bellowing chant-song and flailing their arms about in a healthy, invigorating sort of way. I'm sure, over the years, many such a one never came back to their favorite forest chair...