24 hours with new mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BrenMyster, Aug 24, 2010.

1. BrenMyster macrumors member

hey

Just wanted to post about my first 24 hour with my new MP, I'm upgrading from a MBP early 2008 2.5 with 4gb. So far I'm very happy with the machine, took 7 hours to get everything installed including a copy of XP. This is also my first MP and I want it to last at least 4 years, I figure Macbook pros last about 2 years so the extra cost will work out in my favour. hopefully.

I went for the 3.33 and threw 8gb of after market RAM so I have a total of 10gb in there so far. I also went for the 5870.

currently I'm getting over 16000 with geek bench which i'm more than happy with, I'm going to test out some games tonight in XP, bio shock 2 and MAss effect 2.

I use the mac fro editing mainly and it seems to run FCP like a dream, even a 1 hour long film I made with full colour correction works very smooth. Rendering magic bullet is very fast. I have even witched on the high precision rendering for all my projects which slows down the standard render but I could never even touch that with my old MBP.

I think the thing is even more quiet than my old MBP!!!! in the corner of my room you can barely hear its there.

The only thing that they could have done is throw 2 more HD slots in the case, Mine are filled already.

all in all I'm pretty happy and hopefully this investment will greatly speed up my work and able me to do things that I was unable to do before with my slow old system.

2. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

Congrats on the new machine!

One question:

Why did you install XP on the thing instead of 7?

3. BrenMyster thread starter macrumors member

hi

I just had a official copy of XP and not a copy of 7, I think I will get one now though.

B

4. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Heh I also upgraded from 2.5 Penryn to my frist MP, awesome :D

5. goMac macrumors 603

Are you rendering Looks in gpu or cpu mode? What sort of framerate are you getting?

I've only been running it on my 2009 Mac Pro with a GT 120. :-\

6. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

God I love Magic Bullet. Thanks for the report! I got the 3.33 also and can't wait to set it up.

7. macMonte macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, I use Final Cut on the regular and never heard of magic bullet, what is it?

8. sboerup macrumors 6502

Ya, received mine yesterday and dang this thing is fast. I'm upgrading from a 2008 8-core MP, and even this is atleast a 200% jump (according to some timed tests in LR and PS). So glad I upgraded!

9. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel