24 hours with no function to port to Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cschmelz, Sep 26, 2012.

1. cschmelz macrumors 6502

So I got my iPhone 5 on Verizon after being with AT&T for 3G, GS, 4 and 4S, both hoping for broader coverage and LTE soon (rumor is next 1-2 months)

Anyhow, got the iPhone 5 with a new Verizon number to try out the coverage, found it good and went to port my number today. Immediately (within 2-3 minutes) my AT&T 4s went "no service" and myverizon.com listed my old AT&T number as the active number.

After 30 minutes, no service at all on my Verizon iPhone 5...Call Verizon, am told "port just went through, may take up to an hour" so I wait an hour and a half, call back, go through a bunch of steps with them, get ADVANCED tech support who tell me it may take 3 DAYS for the port to go through due to AT&T but then they don't have a good answer when I tell them it is clear AT&T already gave up the number because my old account is cancelled and my phone inoperative. They stick with their story of '3 days'.

I go to my local Verizon store and they say something completely different that they needed a new nanosim to make it work, but didn't have any extra and that it took 24 hours of being deactivated to be able to reprogram them....

End result? 1.5 hours on phone with Verizon, 1 to get to store and back and no active phone, either on AT&T or Verizon....UGH

Anyone else have this experience?

2. toekneevu macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue!!

I decided to switch over to Verizon after many years of dropped calls with AT&T. Apple announced everyday at 10pm you can reserve an iPhone5 at a local store on their website. So I did that yesterday, you have to go through the process of selecting a carrier, plan options and also if you want to port your existing number from another carrier. So I did all of that and picked up my phone today, they scanned it and it verified it was my correct phone number. I get home turn it on and it's searching and not activated. I call Verizon and they transfer me to 7 different people trying to port and verify my account. I finally reached a lady who tells me some complete BS about my phone won't be activated until October 17th because I got my phone too early?! So I get home and found the correct number to call to port my number, the guys says okay it should activate in 15 minutes if not keep trying and turning on and off your phone. It's been 5 hours now and still no activation and my ATT account is now canceled with no service. So yup, im stuck with an itouch and no cell phone. :mad:

Please keep me updated if you get yours to work, I feel your frustration, you're not alone. lol

3. cschmelz thread starter macrumors 6502

The local rep claims a new nanosim and programming will fix it, however the only nanosim that had in the shop was held by the manager.

I'm to return in the morning to try again. I will post an update in the afternoon one way or another. I told the rep he could keep my iPhone 5 and I'd go back to AT&T if they can't fix it tomorrow...He seemed to understand I was serious.

4. toekneevu macrumors newbie

Got mine to activate today

So during lunch I brought my iphone 5 in today to a local verizon store, I decided to turn it off and turn it on to show the rep it's not activating. This time it took much longer for the "Waiting for activation..." he was also the phone with Verizon doing a port and the lady says "number ported successfully" 5 seconds later, my phone is Activated! Finally! I didn't have to change the sim or anything.

Hopefully you get yours resolved today, good luck!

5. cschmelz thread starter macrumors 6502

No such luck. After 45 minutes at the Verizon store they got me NOWHERE...I left with some Samsung POS phone as a 'temporary loaner' while they wait 24 hours for my nano-sim to 'age' while not locked to an account. They claim they can then reprogram the SIM tomorrow...

This could have been fixed if corporate just admitted on the phone yesterday it was a SIM issue and FedEx'ed a nanosim to me or the local store, but they continued to refuse to admit that, though the local guys are quite certain it is the issue.... They had ZERO unprogrammed nano-sims...I'm tempted to cut down the microSIM in the Samsung phone and trying that.......

Oh well...More tomorrow I guess...Another hour wasted of my life. On a high note the rep that called Customer Service got hung up on mid-call and was like 'what the HELL?"

6. toekneevu macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear man, you can always just do this:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/compan...or-cutting-microsim-to-nano-sim-for-iphone-5/

Print it out exactly as described and start cutting :)

7. cschmelz thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I did what Verizon wasn't willing to....I printed out the nano-SIM cutting guide and CUT AWAY on the loaner SIM...

Scary! (well wasn't my SIM and alternative was using that POS Samsung so....)

Well plugged it in (was a little sloppy in the IP5 cradle) waited...waited....waited....no service.....waited...

Verizon 3G!

Woohoo! working iphone 5 on ported number! Thank god....

8. Tvp125 macrumors newbie

same exact thing happened to me. My account some how had a future activation date of the 16th of october. I spent 3 hours on the phone with Verizon with no solution. They told me to go to the VZW store by my house after being there for 2 hours they got it working. They had to remove my old account completely out of the system like it never happened and activate the phone on a new account so it would not have that future start date. very weird

9. slate5 macrumors newbie

H-E-double hockey sticks

These are so funny to read! I have had a phone for 3 days that will not activate because the phone number assigned to the phone (printed on the receipt) is NOT in Verizon's system. I have spent hours on the phone with them. Most everyone I have dealt with is basically clueless. They then assigned 2 other numbers to the line. Finally I was told I could port my old number but still it will not activate. Old Sprint phone no longer works and now I am waiting for the 24 hour reset and am afraid to even call back again.

Even ordering the phone on the 14th was extremely painful. I wanted to upgrade so I had to call in my order. After taking all of my information which took at least 20 minutes, the rep accidentally rebooted his computer. I am sure that cost me a 4-day delivery delay.

sigh...