24" imac and blackbook or MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FD23, Aug 14, 2008.

  1. FD23 macrumors newbie

    Aug 14, 2008
    I have a PBG4 1.5ghz that is still running really pretty well but I am heading to grad school and will need to upgrade my rig. Originally I was just going to get the new mbp when it came out but school starts next week and I dont really need/ cant wait any longer for the newest model. Additionally my new school has 24" imacs 2.8 500gb for $1250 + $119 for apple care = 1369 US. I could prob swing the imac + a macbook if I sold at least one of the ipod touch's. My current desktop is an old amd system i built and is also on its last legs FWIW.

    1) Is that as good a price for the imac as i think it is?

    2) I love my PB 15" screen and keyboard. Will i notice a big difference going to the smaller macbook?

    3) Should I spend the extra money on the imac +mb or just get a MBP as my sole computer which is pretty much where im at now (as i rarely use my desktop bc its too slow) ?
  2. super_kev macrumors 6502


    Jan 12, 2005
    The 13" Macbook is way much portable than the 15" MBP, especially since you will be using it for school and will fit in your backpack easier. The 24" iMac is a very good deal at that price. You would be nuts to pass it up.
  3. shdowman macrumors member

    Jul 15, 2008
    Southern California
    So THAT'S WHY I have been seeing a slew of these configurations on Craigs List for 1500-1600......:mad:
  4. tompon1923 macrumors 6502


    Jun 16, 2008
    15°35'30.45S 54°31'22.17E
    the Imac is a great deal, get it! Wait with buying a macbook, they are expected to get updates in the next few months. And why not keep your powerbook for a while? That is an awesome machine too.
  5. theMaccer macrumors 6502a


    Oct 7, 2006
    Yea, I got one for $999+$119Applecare too. I think Apple had a huge overstock of this model, and they were dumping them through College Computer Stores.
  6. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

    Dec 27, 2004
    Get the Imac and MB.... I'd suggest looking at the refurbed site on Apple.com
  7. FD23 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 14, 2008
    Thanks for the advice, I'm almost positive i will get the imac as it should last for a long time and is way more powerful than anything ive got at the moment. I would stick with my PB for taking notes and such but my schools exam software is Win only :rolleyes: and I have heard of prof's docking points for handwritten tests ( even if I my handwriting was great, I wouldn't want to risk it). Thus I need a new laptop for school and I think a macbook using bootcamp would still be more stable and less of a liability than buying a cheaper sony or lenovo. That being said I could prob give apple till September and see how/ if they make worthwhile revisions to their notebooks since I have already been waiting since around the last macworld.
  8. nidserz macrumors 6502a


    Mar 28, 2008
    Dubai x Toronto
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

    ^^ that's a great idea. The iMac will get you started for the school year and mac portables look to be updated in September. I would get by with be pb for the first month of school then get an updated mb/pro :)
  9. andyblila macrumors 65816


    Jul 8, 2008
    On My iPhone, or my iPad?
    iMac and the Macbook. That's what I bought and I am very happy. Two is always better than one! :D :apple: :D

Share This Page