Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I just got a 24" iMac and love it...

I got a quick question about the optical out...I know it has optical out (or at least I hope it does). But unlike my G5, there's no mention of optical in the Sound control panel, and there's not a red light in the headphone jack. Will it automatically detect everything once I plug in an optical cable or something? Also, what kind of adapter do I need to plug in a regular TOSLINK cable, and where can I buy them at? Thanks

DigitalN.

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2007
I just got a 24" iMac and love it...

I got a quick question about the optical out...I know it has optical out (or at least I hope it does). But unlike my G5, there's no mention of optical in the Sound control panel, and there's not a red light in the headphone jack. Will it automatically detect everything once I plug in an optical cable or something? Also, what kind of adapter do I need to plug in a regular TOSLINK cable, and where can I buy them at? Thanks

it is an auto detect port, and you need a TOSLink to the smaller headphone type connector, I cant recall what it is called right now. Basically it should come with the cable, if not, its probably pretty easy to find one.

this end right here: http://www.worldofcables.com/store/catalog/Digital Audio - Toslink.jpg

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
it is an auto detect port, and you need a TOSLink to the smaller headphone type connector, I cant recall what it is called right now. Basically it should come with the cable, if not, its probably pretty easy to find one.

this end right here: http://www.worldofcables.com/store/catalog/Digital Audio - Toslink.jpg

Actually a lot harder to find one than you'd think. I had sorta assumed RadioShack would have them, but they didn't. The guy told me the only place who carries them was the Apple Store, but he told me they only have the 3.5 Toslink->3.5 Toslink cables, which would be useless for me. Ended up finding the adapter on Amazon. So no instant gratification :( Listening to music on the iMac's speakers suck when you're used to a 5.1 home theater system

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.