24" iMac as a media center?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alexanderasher, May 2, 2014.

1. alexanderasher macrumors member

alexanderasher

So, I've been looking around lately and a 24 inch iMac seems like it might make a good media center. This would be for music, netflix, 1080p tv shows, and other such things. I guess my question is, how well does it fare doing stuff like this? I'm looking at 2008 and 2009 models, and it's mostly the 24 inch screen that interests me of all, it's not as big as a 27 but not small like the 21, so yeah. And an all-in-one seems like it'd be good for this.

Plus it has a disc drive, though I could use an external (And I probably will since I have some blu-rays.)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They fair rather well at it. Their screen ratio of 16:10 makes them good for both widescreen and non-widescreen media. You could make do with an older 2007 iMac as well. They can all do Netflix and 1080p media without a problem.

3. alexanderasher thread starter macrumors member

alexanderasher

Alright. I'd prefer a later model because it would probably last longer, hopefully. In theory, I guess. Now the only issue I have is finding one for a decent price.

4. MyiBill macrumors 6502

Been thinking of doing this myself. Do you plan to use it as a media server as well or only watching on the iMac itself?

5. alexanderasher thread starter macrumors member

alexanderasher

I plan on just using the iMac itself, mainly because if I wanted a server I'd go with a Mini.

Also, I did want to ask, how hard would it be to get a Snow Leopard disc without erm... buying one? Are we allowed to speak of eyepatches here? I ask this mainly because I'd rather not use Mavericks on this, and just use Snow Leopard. Or Leopard. Whichever, really.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Discussion of piracy is not allowed on MacRumors.

7. alexanderasher thread starter macrumors member

alexanderasher

Alright, just... forget I ever said anything!

Though, I did want to ask, does Snow Leopard/Leopard work well with Netflix and other such things like that? I'd rather not use Mavericks, honestly.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Snow Leopard works well with Netflix. Leopard, not as much as it doesn't support the required version of Silverlight.

9. palantas macrumors newbie

palantas

I just bought an original OS X Snow Leopard on a disc in an electronic store. Was 6.99 USD. At that price I would never bother to become a pirate :)

10. MyiBill macrumors 6502

Yeah the snow leopard disks are cheap they were on $20 to begin with.