24'' iMac Backlight Bleeding Issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by technosexual, Oct 29, 2007.

1. technosexual macrumors newbie

I don't know if any of you rememberer four years ago the issues faced with PowerBook G4s and ghosting where the company actually had replaced affected screens admitting there was a defect in manufacturing.

Last Friday I had purchased a 24'' iMac and I am seeing something similar that I had seen in my PowerBook four years ago.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and contacted the company, and/or if you think the ghosting I am seeing is a cause for concern.

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Bolteh macrumors regular

I got the same thing, but only un the lower left corner.. Doesn't bother me at all, and I only notice it when the screen is completely black (but can't even see it when watching a DVD with black borders)

3. l33r0y macrumors 6502

If you intend to report this to Apple, you should use the term 'backlight bleed'. 'Ghosting' is something completely different. :)

4. Nordichund macrumors 6502

The only time I see something like that on my machine is when I´m booting into XP. If that was happening on my sceen saver like yours I would want an immediate replacement.

5. technosexual thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your input, especially the correct terminology. I used the word "ghosting" because it truly does resemble that problem that was faced with the PowerBooks back in the day.

I will go ahead and contact the Apple Store today and see what they can do for me. I'm afraid it'll be a "send your computer in and we'll get it repaired" kinda thing.

6. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

7. Irunnoft macrumors member

I have the same problem on my new iMac. I bought a 24" 2.8ghz model and I noticed it just last night when I watched a movie in a dark room. I can't really see it in normal lighting or when a picture is being displayed on the monitor. Just when there is a black background. Mine is in almost the same locations.

I've heard the term referred to as "spotlighting," but a previous poster is correct, it is called backlight bleed.

8. technosexual thread starter macrumors newbie

Once again, I'm sorry if I sounded like a noob. But that was what my issue with my PowerBook was, back in the day. Since it looked similar, I thought that they were one and the same. I'm sorry.

But I do thank everyone who gave me their professional input making me more knowledgeable and better informed.

I have tried phoning Apple Care, however on 16 minutes on hold was a tad too long for me. I am guessing there is an influx of calls cooinciding with the release of Leopard. I will try again tomorrow, or visit the store on Thursday.

Once again, I truly appreciate the constructive insight.

9. l33r0y macrumors 6502

In fairness then, whoever said the Powerbook problem was ghosting was wrong too, so you can blame them ;)

For the curious, ghosting is the term used for when there is an offset of luminance (brightness) from chroma (colour) of a video image, most commonly seen on analog TV broadcasts. The result is an apparent ghostly image of the subject as the example demonstrates:

Example

/geek mode off :)

10. technosexual thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, fair enough. We'll blame Apple. :)

11. jlhopes macrumors newbie

same issue on late 2006 iMac

I recently bought a late 2006 iMac (20 inch) - because I like the matte screen better - and I'm getting the same kind of backlight bleed. I only notice it in dark rooms when the screen is showing dark colors or is supposed to be black (like when watching a letterboxed video or DVD). Is this something that can actually be fixed - either by me or by Apple - or should I just deal with it? Screen is great otherwise.

12. MetalMac macrumors member

MetalMac

hmm =/

Is that the same thing happening with the 20" displays of the alum imacs??
    I just HATE IT

13. rpeters83 macrumors regular

I have pretty much the same exact bleed as yours, on the top left and bottom right (the top left seems more intense about 5 inches from the left). Again, doesnt bother me and is only seen on pure dark with the lights off and full brightness. Nothing to cry about.