Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emahusay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
I have a 24" iMac with Snow Leopard. Before this problem occurred, I hadn't noticed anything wrong with it. I shut it down, and the next day when it auto turned on, I logged in and got visual glitches. Random groups of pixels. I reset to try to get rid of them, and it never booted up all the way. I reset the PRAM and NVRAM and the groups of pixels changed to what look like scrolling lines of pixels, matrix code-like. A friend of mine had fixed it, for a bit, then they just appeared in the middle of me using the computer. Now it's back to not being able to be turned on at all. It gets to the Apple and the spinning gear spins for a while, then stops. But the pixels never stop moving. Sometimes I get past it, but I get other visual glitches, like a black screen with a flashing box on the upper 1/3rd or so of the screen. Or a blue screen with random pixels. My PC friend called them artifacts and said it might be my graphics card. The only problems I've had before are memory problems.

Any ideas? I've also tried starting from CD, safe mode, hardware test, and holding down x.

emahusay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Not really sure what he did. But it went back to glitching within minutes. I can find out tomorrow if you think that's important

emahusay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
I just got past the login screen with safemode, the visual was so bad. It ended up resetting itself before anything loaded. Maybe it is the graphics card, which apparently can't be replaced easily.

emahusay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
No it's not, unfortunately. It's around 2 years old. I'm thinking about taking it to my apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.