24" iMac Display Backlight Failure

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Maikeru-san, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Maikeru-san macrumors newbie

This afternoon, an issue developed on my iMac 24" (Mid-2007) where the top half of my display seemed like it flickered and burned out. What it looks like currently is a very dramatic gradient from dark to light. I haven't found any support documents or discussions that address an issue like this.

I tried restarting my computer and to no avail, the problem persists. Also tried resetting the SMC and booting from the Install CD, and this did not fix the problem either. The basic Apple Hardware Test did not identify anything wrong (I did not do the extended test).

I am suspecting that the backlight in my display is failing. I wanted to see if anyone else encountered this issue and any thoughts about what could possibly be wrong. I am afraid that my iMac might be Genius Bar bound if no solution exists. I'm scared of what the repair costs might be...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Maikeru-san

P.S. I've read in some places that this could be an inverter issue rather than a display issue. In some cases I have noticed that when I start my display up from sleep, the full backlit display comes back for a moment before the top half goes dark again.... Again, thoughts?

2. Waragainstsleep macrumors regular

It could be the inverter or the backlight tube itself. Either way I think Apple will tell you you'll need a new LCD panel as they don't separate these parts.

Sorry.

There are ways around this of course. I sourced inverters for the original 24" white iMac a while ago. Swapping out a backlight tube is a bit of a pain though. If you are in the UK, send me a PM and I might be able to source and/or fit an inverter for you, otherwise you'll have to look around for yourself.