Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imactim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Hi,

I wonder if any photographers out there have tried to colour calibrate one of the new 24" iMacs?

Any issues of off axis colour shifts?

Any problems with the glossy screen for photo editing?

Any idea which panel Apple is using?
It's likely the Samsung sourced S-PVA LTM240M2 (used in almost all high end 24" LCD displays) but may be the LG-Philips S-IPS LM240WU2 (supposedly better for photo editing than S-PVA and used in the NEC 2490WUxi display).
If it's the S-IPS panel than the iMac is an amazing deal - basically a high end panel with a computer for nearly free.

How is the text sharpness?

Any other inputs on photo editing, Photoshop CS3 speed, etc. would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Tim

tonyl

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2006
I highly doubt a S-IPS panel in 24" iMac. Like you said, it'll be almost free for a Mac. It should be the same panel as old 24" iMac.

Hi,

I wonder if any photographers out there have tried to colour calibrate one of the new 24" iMacs?

It's likely the Samsung sourced S-PVA LTM240M2 (used in almost all high end 24" LCD displays) but may be the LG-Philips S-IPS LM240WU2 (supposedly better for photo editing than S-PVA and used in the NEC 2490WUxi display).
If it's the S-IPS panel than the iMac is an amazing deal - basically a high end panel with a computer for nearly free.

Any other inputs on photo editing, Photoshop CS3 speed, etc. would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Tim

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Hi,

We've tried both a Pantone Huey and a Spyder on the new iMac. Because of massive glare, screen calibration is a real challenge. We weren't able to get any useful results out of the Huey. The Spyder yielded ok results but only when we used it in a completely dark room. Even the slightest reflection will cause color cast.

Even after we halfway succeeded in calibrating the screen, the results weren't perfect. Darker areas in pictures are hardly visible. While I'll probably be flamed for this, I firmly believe that the new iMac isn't at all suitable for people who need to do image processing.

Already the fact that you're asking about calibration tells me that the Makeup Mirror iMac isn't for you.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
I saw the new iMac at an apple reseller standing next to a cinema display hooked to a mini and this made me decide I don't want it. I'm going to buy a Mac Pro when it gets a serious update or a serious price drop...

When you're a pro you should go for pro tools.

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
As I'm sure the glossy screen does pose a bit of a problem when it comes to calibration, I think a tweaking of the calibration software may help overcome this.

LED backlit screens are considered high end, but they also produce erratic results with calibration (or it did when they first came out - so this may have been fixed in recent releases of calibration software).

Suffice it to say, whereas todays calibration solutions may not do a perfect job, it doesn't mean to say they never will! :rolleyes:

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Is it a stupid idea to just take off the glass before you calibrate the screen.

In theory you may get a better result when calibrating (assuming the same panel type calibrates well enough)

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Hi,

Cheers,
Tim

Ya,

It is the NEC LCD2490WUXi-BK Panel seen here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002168

It is a H-IPS

Yup, basically u get a high end monitor for your money and a mostly free computer..

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
We've tried both a Pantone Huey and a Spyder on the new iMac. Because of massive glare, screen calibration is a real challenge. We weren't able to get any useful results out of the Huey. The Spyder yielded ok results but only when we used it in a completely dark room. Even the slightest reflection will cause color cast.

I had no problems calibrating it with Pantone Huey in a dark room. The results turned out just fine to my eyes. My father who has worked with photography all his life and digital photo editing since the early 90's was very impressed with the screen and calibration considering the price of it.
Well at least the part of it that wasn't tinted, but that's a different matter :)

I think it will suit anyone but the most demanding. It is after all not a high end panel. But those costs as much as the iMac itself.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
I had no problems calibrating it with Pantone Huey in a dark room. The results turned out just fine to my eyes. My father who has worked with photography all his life and digital photo editing since the early 90's was very impressed with the screen and calibration considering the price of it.
Well at least the part of it that wasn't tinted, but that's a different matter :)

I think it will suit anyone but the most demanding. It is after all not a high end panel. But those costs as much as the iMac itself.

You might want to check that info...

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland

Seriously? I've spent a whole day trying to get this right and the result always had a red or a green tint. I also read on dpreview.com that they couldn't get the Huey to work on the new iMac.

TitouDoc

macrumors member
May 24, 2004
So is there any calibration profile for the 24" ?
I saw a lot for the 20 but none for the 24 :s

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
Seriously? I've spent a whole day trying to get this right and the result always had a red or a green tint. I also read on dpreview.com that they couldn't get the Huey to work on the new iMac.

Yes. Apart from the yellow tint screen defect, there wasn't any tint I could notice. I was actually quite surprised since the Huey hasn't given me that good of a calibration with any other LCD.
The only light sources in the room was the tiny power leds on my studio monitors, but other than that it was only the screen and complete darkness. :)

Let's hope I'm as lucky with the replacement I'm getting then.

I suppose that you will get problems with the Huey during daytime though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.