24" iMAC display question (discontinued model)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MACPGF, Dec 30, 2007.

1. MACPGF macrumors newbie

MAC MALL is selling the discontinued 24" iMAC with the white case without the gloss screen at what appears to be a year end closeout sale.

Does anyone now if that model had more even brightness and color display than the new replacement? I did see one of them when they were for sale at a MAC store a year or so ago but I don't remamber how even the display brightness was.

I have seen the new iMAC and don't like the display gradation which has been discussed. Seems like a good deal with Leopard installed (if the display does not have the same gradation issues).

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Old iMac screens had even brightness, at least the ones I used in college had.
    Contrast considerably lower than new iMac with glossy screen, but that's not a bad thing.

3. MACPGF thread starter macrumors newbie

I know a photographer that has the older 20" iMAC not the 24" without the gloss screen and that screen looks good.

I just wonder about the close out displays. Wonder if they are refurbs? On the other hand Apple has the same 24" iMAC for sale -- but they are listed as refurb. Does not mean they are not OK.

I'm using a G4 dual gig. Quicksilver with a 20" Samsung display. Super color, contrast, etc. but I don't like the 160 degree viewing angles. Not real bad vertical gradation, but it's there. So I thought I'd spring for the iMAC -- get a better display and new computer too boot!

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Many users prefer refurb not only because they are cheaper but because each one is throughly tested before being re-boxed.

Regarding glossy v non-glossy, as a retired photography / graphics tutor I too would never use a glossy lcd screen.