24" iMac: Fix it or sell it broken?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bballhoop, Sep 29, 2012.

1. bballhoop macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    The computer developed a problem in which a message appears saying "you must restart your computer." I did some research and found out this was called a kernel panic. Took it to the apple store 3 times and it was never fixed. I ended up purchasing a new computer, and this has been in the closet for about 2 years now. The computer is now out of the time frame that apple will fix it (5+ years old).

The computer will not boot up. I have tried to start it in safe mode, but the message still appears. I've tried placing the original OS disc for the system repair, but it comes up clean. I have also tried switching around the ram sticks but no luck(never updated the ram so it is compatible). I am not good with working on computers, so repairing it myself is pretty much not an option.

Should I sell this computer broken, on a site like craigslist? I put it up and have gotten numerous inquiries about it.What exactly do you all think this would be worth broken?

Specs:
    2008 iMac 24"
    2.8ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2Gb 800mhz ddr2 sdram
    320gb seriel ata drive
    Nvidia GeForce 8800

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Probably a dying hard drive or RAM that's gone bad. Both relatively cheap fixes, HDD swap would take a while though :p Small chance it could be the logic board, I guess.

Anyone looking to buy it probably knows that though.

3. bballhoop thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a way to diagnose which it may be? I do not have any experience working on computers, and apple will not work on it any longer so I would have to most likely find a shop that can work on it. Not sure what the cost would be for those new parts, but does anyone have an estimate what my computer is worth if it is fully working? I have an offer of $350 for it being broken and it may be worth jumping on depending on repair prices.

4. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I had the logic board replaced in my 2009 24" earlier this year at the Apple Store for $500'ish.

You may be able to get an independent Mac shop to take a look at it, but they're probably going to charge you for the time (especially if they have to disassemble it).

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Take the machine to your local Apple Service Provider (on the Apple site). They will run a full diagnostic test and locate the problem. They will then be able to give you a quotation for any necessary work and it will then be up to you to decide what you want to do.

From personal experience, they don't charge for the initial inspection and any work carried out carries an Apple 90 Warranty.