24" iMac "for parts" - missing HDD and RAM - will it work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cleanup, Jun 16, 2009.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

So this guy on craigslist is selling a 24" iMac that has apparently just been sitting around for a year without a hard drive or memory, but that's all that's missing. I'm taking this to mean that if I stick in a hard drive and some memory, it would boot up just fine? Or would I have to maybe replace the little battery on the motherboard and so there's no real way I can test if the computer is alright? He's selling it for dirt cheap, and a hard drive + memory would not be expensive, either.

Cheers!

2. Lukeyboy01 macrumors regular

Lukeyboy01

i have to admit i did once sell an imac with a missing hardrive for £700 when i knew that the logic board had failed i bet the guy was pissed

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

"For Parts" typically means the major component, such as logic board has failed.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There are lots of faulty iMacs in eBay where seller promises that HD or RAM is "only" missing/faulty part but 90% of those cases there's some other faults as well. Who wants to sell iMac if it can be fixed so easily?

5. DSG macrumors regular

If he knew enough to be able to take the bits out then it seems odd that he would feel the need to sell it dirt cheap in its current state. If it was just the missing memory/hdd then surely he would have just bought replacements and sold it at a normal price.

6. DSG macrumors regular

Seriously not cool. In the UK that would quite possibly amount to fraud by false representation.