24" iMac from Best Buy...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MikeTheVike, Aug 8, 2009.

1. MikeTheVike macrumors regular

I have $200 worth of gift cards to Best Buy and it is a tax free weekend in my state, plus I can get 18 months no interest. I went to look at the 24" iMac 2.93ghz iMac tonight. It would be $1599 after my gift cards. When I was there, the sales guy found an older "open box" 2.8 ghz for $1000 after my gift cards. I thought that sounded like a great deal, but I was worried about the warranty on an "open box" iMac. I called two Apple stores and both hesitantly said, " uhhhhh, yea, you can buy Apple care on that" Not sure I believe that. What would you guys do?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ask for its serial number so you can check when does its warranty end.

3. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Having heard all the Bestbuy open box horror stories, I would probly stay away from it.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Go for the open box.

There is nothing wrong. Usually its one that someone took home, didnt want and returned. They will check it at the store for you if you wish.

ALso anything open box is still covered under the manufacturer warranty and yes you can buy apple care on it.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not if it has already been a year...

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've bought a couple of ex-demo Macs and the warranty date is usually wrong. All you need to do is follow the instructions here and they will re-set it to your date of purchase, giving you the full 12 months warranty.

7. MikeTheVike thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so we have some conflicting posts, haha. The sales guy said the Geek Squad and I could check it out before purchase. I was worried about it looking ok in the quick store check, but finding something once I was home.

How do I check the warranty with the serial number?

OllyW, Is that link set up for purchases like this? How do I know that applies to me?

Is that a good deal on the open box? I noticed Apple has stopped selling that model of refurb.

Thanks for everyone's help, I have today to figure everything out and make a decision.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You can check the warranty date with the serial number here.

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I'd rather see you buy a refurb from the Apple store. Use your gift cards for
    some nice peripherals or an external HD.

10. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If you do go with Best Buy, be wary about letting the Geek Squad play around with your machine.

Also, an open box product is a lost sale to them, an losing value every day. I bet you can bargain the price down further. Don't be greedy, but ask them what kind of deal they can give you.

11. boston44 macrumors 6502

You get one year from the date you buy the machine from an authorized retailer.. It doesn't matter if it's a used open box or not. Call MyApple and they will fix it. I bought a new MBP from BB and my warranty was not even registered, they made up for it giving me 14 months warranty and 120 days phone support.

12. MikeTheVike thread starter macrumors regular

Well I bought the open box iMac! After using my gift cards I got it for a tad less than $1000 with 18 months no interest. Hooked it up last night and everything seems to be working awesome. I plan on upgrading the ram to 4GB and purchasing AppleCare this week. Thanks everyone!

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Just don't buy this stuff from Best Buy. They rip you off on the price. Buy RAM, cables, hard drives &c. from places like Newegg.com, especially the RAM and cables. Apple care is usually cheaper on eBay or Amazon.com.

14. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

"Is that the best you can do?"

"Is that really the best you can do?"

"OK, great! I'll take it."

Always worth a shot.

15. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Not with computers. They're, generally, the same price everywhere.

I do agree they rip you off on just about everything else, especially any TV over 13'' and any receiver/speakers in a box setup.

16. MikeTheVike thread starter macrumors regular

Just thought I would update this in case someone has the same predicament. I sent in my receipt to Apple to get my purchase date updated. A week later I got an email saying my request was denied because it was an "open-box or demo unit". I called Apple support and told the guy my situation and he made some notes in the system and told me to send in my receipt again. I did, and a week and a half later I got another rejection email. I called support again and the guy was really nice and tried to talk the AppleCare people into letting me buy AppleCare. But it is a no go. I'm going into Best Buy tomorrow to see if they can do anything for me. :(

17. musicrocks182 macrumors newbie

the only thing best buy can do for you besides letting you return it is going to be to offer there service plan. They arent gonna give a **** that you cant buy apple care. I work for the computers department at best buy.

18. Orionexp macrumors newbie

Square Trade

Square Trade sometimes has very good prices on warranties. and there's always a discount if you look online. i would always get at least 20% off.
    i had a camera that stopped working after a year and they issued the full purchase price back to me.

19. MikeTheVike thread starter macrumors regular

That's exactly what I'm expecting...:(

20. dgabel macrumors newbie

1. Best Buy Will honor the warranty for 1 year, if it breaks for some reason, they will fix it...

2. Contrary to popular belief... Best Buys warranties are far more comprehensive than many manufacturers including Apple... They have accidental... I have seen 4 uMBP's that were dropped and after a week or two the customer was able to come back in and pick up a new shiny uMBP because BB's service center does not have access to the Unibody replacement parts. The damage has to be more than cosmetic though... they're not going to replace the machine if it's a tiny dent or scratch.

2b. Yeah, you don't get the extended phone support... but I've NEVER used it on the 3 Apple Care Purchases I have made... I have called Apple Support once, and that was when my local Apple store refused to fix my MBP (GeForce 8600M) that had no video and was one of the affected on the recall. That's another story which has a happy ending but I will never set foot in the Apple Store in Bayshore Wisconsin....

(disclaimer: I work for BB... and I can't vouch for some idiots that try to screw customers, but if they follow policy... then you will be taken care of)

21. MikeTheVike thread starter macrumors regular

I went into best buy and asked them what my options are. The Geek Squad supervisor said I have a 1 year warranty, and I had her write that on my receipt and sign it just in case. I will probably be good with a one year warranty, but I might look into a Square Trade warranty.