24" iMac + G4 PowerBook *or* new 15" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jason4, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Jason4 macrumors newbie

I have the opportunity to buy my sisters 24" iMac and a friends G4 PowerBook for about $1100 total but I've been holding off to see what happened with the updated MBPs. I could come up with the money to buy a mid-spec 15" MBP with the anti-glare screen but I wouldn't have any left over for an external monitor if I did that. Either way I'll need to spend a bit more on software too. Both of the used machines are in good condition but they obviously aren't the current generation and lack the wow factor of brand new hardware.

I will be working mostly with Lightroom and doing photo editing tasks (cataloging, cropping, color correcting, etc). The portability is only really needed to transfer files from the CF card to a hard drive when I'm travelling and if possible some quick organization. Most of the work can be done at home.

Thoughts, suggestions, advice?

Thanks in advance

2. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

I'd go with the MBP, you can get a lanyard like the guy on The Simpsons, and walk around all day with it. The iBooks are a little outdated, I hear you can't even really watch 720p youtube videos on there.

I read that Acer or Asus has a 1080p 23" DisplayPort capable monitor for under $400 right now.

MBP is portable anyways, some day you might have a good reason to bring it somewhere. If you can swing it go for it, but if you barely even use the computer, the iMac might be fine.

Your choices are pretty simple, I don't really know why you started a thread, what you listed are really on two way different parts of the spectrum price wise.

Oh and you could just get a 50 cent USB Media Card Reader for the ibook.

Or an iPad/SD card reader lol.

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

4. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

YES!

You can walk around and tell everybody you are a blogger..
    I wonder if they make a kids version.
    Couple that with the iPhone hat and wow...
    AND dual BT ear pieces...

coolest kid in town.

5. Jason4 thread starter macrumors newbie

My issue isn't as much with the cost as it is with the value. If I can save a little money on the computers and still be happy with the capabilities then it leaves me more money for flashes and lenses. I do want to be able to work portably but I don't think I need a really powerful machine for what I want to do on the run, I might be wrong.

The new MBP is oviously the nicer machine and more worthy of the lust but at 2x the cost (~$2200) for a 15" MBP with the antiglare screen is the value better to go one way or the other?