24" iMac Glass, Is It All The Same?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by leerkeller, Jan 15, 2014.

1. leerkeller macrumors member

I have been looking into ordering a replacement glass panel for my 24" early 2009 iMac. I have noticed that most of the vendors selling the glass list it as being compatible with Mid 2007 & Early 2008. Glass listed as being specifically for the Early 2009 seems to be much less plentiful and somewhat more expensive. Just based on what I see in the pictures, all the glass seems to be the same, as far as pin location is concerned. So, would I be okay ordering any 24" glass?

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Hard to tell, I guess. I've got a 24" Early 2008. The service manual I found online (somewhere) lists the part as "Glass Panel, Cover 922-8469".

If you could find a service manual for your model, you could compare the part numbers.

If you want to post accurate measurements of yours, we could compare them to mine to see if they were the same. That wouldn't be a guarantee of fit, though, because of pins and curvature on the corners.

If it were me, I'd order the 2009 part, unless you can determine the part numbers match.

3. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

The metal surround that is glued to the glass panel could be different - each 24-inch has a different part number for the glass panel. The early 2009 24-inch glass is part number 922-8874
    There's probably not a lot of difference, and all the 24-inch glass may be interchangeable. This PowerbookMedic page seems to infer that, but gives you the choice of the correct number (922-8874) so that should be the best choice:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/iMac-Aluminum-24-Glass-Panel-p-17638.html

And, there's a good range of prices for the glass, too, although on that site, most are not in stock.