24" iMac going down the crapper

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Aldyn, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Aldyn macrumors member

i have had my 24" iMac since september, and have loveeeeeeeed it dearly, except the past few months, i've been experiencing numerous problems.

the most frequent is, at the user-login screen (anytime i leave my room, i switch it to the login screen) when i click on my name, often i'll get the spinning beach ball and it'll just stick like that forever (pretty much until i hard-restart the computer)

also, sometimes when just doing normal computing an application will freeze and get the spinning ball. if i let it go, it just spins (i've let it go for hours and come back to the same thing) and if i try clicking on another application, the spinning ball just spreads to everything i switch to. forcing me to hard-restart again.

has anyone else experienced these problems? it's driving me crazy. and i really don't like doing all these hard-restarts.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

3. Aldyn thread starter macrumors member

nope, i was going to do that as a last resort (or if i ever got the harddrive so filled up with junk that it was causing slowing, but at the moment i have plenty of space)

4. bartelby macrumors Core

How much is "Plenty of space"?
    What's the S.M.A.R.T. Status of the hard drive?

5. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

First thing I would do is run Repair Disk in Disk Utility. Since you can't run a full Repair Disk from inside your current install you will have to put in the OS X install CD and boot off that (hold down C while starting). When you get into the GUI go to the Utilities menu and run Disk Utility. Do the repair and I bet you have some disk problems it fixes.

However, it may be that the lock-ups are a sign of impending disk failure. If this is the case you'll have to get a new hard-drive at some point.

By the way, if you haven't already then make sure you back up all your data right now!

6. Penryn macrumors member

Penryn

I would just do a clean reinstall. Use SuperDuper to make a copy of your HD so that you have all your files and then an Erase and Install.

Penryn

7. colorspace macrumors 6502

SMART Status

In case you aren't familiar you can check the SMART status of your hard drive from the "Disk Utility" application. I would also recommend you start there and do a disk check if the SMART Status is OK. Either way a complete back up is probably in order before doing anything else.

8. 4God macrumors 68020

4God