24" iMac issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bumzo1, Mar 20, 2010.

1. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I have a 24" iMac that just turned a year old yesterday. I do have Apple care and it has been having some problems lately. Firstly I have been noticing some pretty significant burn in issues primarily on the left side. Thats where my ichat normally sits so when on a grey background I can see a burnt in image of my ichat list. There is also a very noticeable line across the top. When I turn down the brightness it also makes an annoying hum that isn't present when at full brightness. Also the speakers will randomly make a high pitched noise which can be resolved by playing some music. and lastly every once in a while my computer will wake up from sleep and the screen will be frozen which requires me to hard shut it down. So what do you think I should do and does it warrant apple care attention?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

The burn in issue is present on all 24" iMacs. It unfortunately only takes a few hours to burn in and many more to go away.

Don't know about your other issues.

3. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

It was pretty common for my old G5 20 incher to get burn ins after not so long a use as well. Luckily the screen "fixed" itself over time, and the burn-ins eventually disappear. Hopefully the 24 inch is like that as well!

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The "burn-in" you are experiencing is actually image retention. It will eventually go away if you have a more varied screen (like using a screen saver or watching movies). The hum due to brightness sounds like a bad inverter board. Its an easy fix for Apple. THe freezing on wake-up could be a GPU or logic board problem. If your Apple Hardware Test (Press D on boot up with the original install DVD in the DVD drive) doesn't show anything, let Apple take a look at it.

EDIT: Just thought of one other thing to try for the freezing. Reset your PRAM (see sig).