24" iMac - My experience with Apple!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by faffoo, Mar 18, 2009.

1. faffoo macrumors 6502

Hi there,

About 8 weeks ago I found a line of dead pixels on my screen of a 24" iMac that I bought in November of last year.

I took it to an authorized repairer and they said, after two weeks i might add, they couldnt fix it because it was within acceptable rates.

I then took the matter to our local apple store in glasgow and they said bring it in to the genius bar. So i did, and they said that was not acceptable and they are going to fix it.

2 weeks later we go over to glasgow to pick it up (which is a 1 hr 30 min drive) and they said it wasnt ready.

So they said instead of us having to travel back there again, they were just going to ship the fixed computer out to me.

5 days later it arrives by a courier (TNT). That evening (because i am at school) i un packed it and set it up to find it wouldnt turn on, at all! It sounded like a fan or vacuum cleaner and the screen just wouldnt turn on at all.

So, as you might be able to guess, I phoned apple back and they said they would have a meeting and get back to me. Over the next few days there was several meatings and phone calls including apple store trying to get a replacement from Apple Online (because mine is BTO) but they declined and AppleCare but they also declined.

The Apple Store were so concerned about how much trouble we had gone through that, they said they will collect it, have quick look at it, and if it was a quick fix, fix it.

It turns out it wasnt a quick fix so they said they would give me one from there stock -going against AppleOnline, and AppleCare.

One problem, my machine as I said was build to order. And of course since my machine was bought a new moddle has come out.

My old Mac spec was:

24" screen
    2.8GHz Processor
    2GB RAM
    500GB Hard Drive
    Wireless Mouse
    Grahics Card

I am getting a replacement shipped to me tomorrow, and it has the following spec:

24" screen
    2.93GHz Processor
    4GB RAM
    640GB Hard Drive
    Better Graphics Card
    And the Peripherals (Keyboard, Mouse and Remote) from my old machine, because I do not like the new little keyboard and I paid for the Wireless mouse, and I believe you do not get a remote with it anymore.

So I am pleased,

A few questions

I recently bought iLife 09 (just before my computer went away). My new computer has iLife 09 pre installed. Can I sell my bought version of iLife 09 online with that serial number?

Also, I have backed up my old machine using time machine. What do i have to do to restore my new computer with the data that was on my old machine.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the answers in advance!

Faffoo

Note of Praise

I would like to thank the apple retail store for all the great service they have given me, and the new machine that I am getting which was going agianst AppleCare and Apple Online!

2. nokiauk macrumors member

Don't see any reason why you can't flog your old iLife '09.

As for the backups when setting the Mac up for the 1st time there is an option to restore data from a Time Machine backup. Just make sure your drive is plugged 1st.

3. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Nice bunch of people at that Apple Store!

I hope you bought them a big box of Cadburys Heros to say thanks!

(and no, I don't work there ;))

4. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Very good

Very good

very good service. I am convinced everyone in that apple store knew about this case.

They said if we want to thank them, that we should send them an email and they all benefit from that.

5. Bad Paper macrumors 6502

What serial number? You're saying that iLife now requires a serial? I don't believe that.

6. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

It does not have a serial no. The OP can sell the boxed iLife, both legally and morally ok.

7. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Wow - how nice of Apple. Good to hear you're getting a better iMac for all your trouble.

8. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

An e-mail eh? A few kilobytes seem to be going pretty far these days.

9. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

iLife and More

Well, I am posting this from my brand new iMac.

When I unboxed the iMac they have shipped me the new keyoard and mouse free (as i kept my old ones because i have wireless).

Also, I never realised iLife didnt nead a serial number then. So, I can Legally and easily sell my retail version of iLife then?

I also forget that the new iMac has more I/O so that is always a plus.

10. iyacyas macrumors member

Wow that's cool

I like to hear good stories like that. I realize that not all issues can be resolved and sometime people get a good, well you know what! In my case I have to say that the Apple store here is OKC is pretty good also. I have had a few issues with the sales people thinking that all customers you take what they say as the gospel, but even they are friendly and helpful.

As far as the iLife09 the machine will come with iLife08 but there should be an added iLife09 disk in the box that you will install over 08. I would install be fore you open any of the iLife08 programs. It won't hurt to open them but it just makes, to me, a better install. So load iLife09 as soon as you can. Selling the iLife09 on Craigslist or eBay should not even be an issue. You have in essence payed for the program twice now. The only thing I would watch out for is if you actually registered your program. This should not even be an issue, but I am no expert on legal. Check with apple if you registered it, just to see how you can unregister i guess.

With the Time Machine, I have not used it as I use SuperDuper, which I highly recomend SuperDuper. From what I understand you just turn on your machine, plug in you external drive in which you used to backup, run Time Machine and tell it to restore. Check out this link if you have not already found one, http://duncandavidson.com/2008/01/restoring-from-time-machine.html.

I would check out Super Duper it is free and you can pay them if you wish as I did because the program works so well. It creates and exact duplicate of you system which you can boot from externally. Check out this link, http://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog/index.php/comments/times_arrow_redux/. Read the section in there about the Time Machine and SuperDuper. And it is FREE! Congrats on you new machine...

11. mastershakess macrumors 6502

12. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

iLife 09

Well, my imac is unboxed and set up and it had iLife 09 preinstalled.

I did however, register iLife 09 when I bought it a couple of months ago. Does anyone know how to un-register it.

Apple has said I can do what I want with it!

13. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

glad you got it sorted. The apple store in Glasgow is brilliant. I bought my new iMac there last week along with time capsule. Also waited in line for the first iPhone(4 hours in the bloody cold)
    The staff are really friendly and I'd much rather buy stuff in store than online. A much better experiance!!!
    Btw. I took time capsule back after 2 days. Just would not work for me. Changed it fir another external drive.

14. faffoo thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree,

The Apple Retail Stores and Apple Care are like apple all over. The retail stores are like a user friendly interface to apple. And AppleCare are all the workings behind the scenes.

P.S. There is a dead /stuck pixel on my new iMac already!!!