24" iMac now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brianr19, Mar 5, 2009.

  1. brianr19 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2008
    #1
    I can't decide if i should get the iMac now or wait until snow leopard comes out on the 23rd or whatever. If i wait will the new iMac be repackaged with the new OS? Or will there be a cheaper upgrade for it?
     
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #2
    Snow Leopard won't be out sooner than July, so I have no idea what your problem with buying now would be.
     
  3. brianr19 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2008
  4. blueicedj macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2007
    #4
    no one knows really. They thought some of the things that were just released might been then but who know...maybe it's snow leopard, maybe it's the new iphone, or maybe its a new mouse *my wishful thinking*...
     
  5. PuckDaddy macrumors regular

    PuckDaddy

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2008
    #5
    don't expect anything on the 23rd ...... it'll be on the 24th
    and who knows, it could be SnL
    with some of the curves Apple's been throwing us, I wouldn't be surprised
     
  6. Gyrferret macrumors regular

    Gyrferret

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2009
    #6
    Where do you guys get the money for all this!?!?!??!?!
     
  7. Zozitdat macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    #7
    I think the best thing to do is wait till 24th,
    When there is anything special --> Buy the iMac
    When there isn't anything special --> Buy the iMac too

    When there won't be anything special at the 24th, then I think Snow will get out in June. But when Snow leopard is released on the 24th (and there is a chance), you will hit yourself because you couldn't wait longer:p

    Well, This is what I am going to do....
     
  8. Squidmondo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2009
    #8
    Nehalem

    Is it worth waiting until the iMac is released with the Nehalem processor?
     
  9. L0s7man macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2009
    #9
    I'd wait. On an offshoot chance they will release SL, they'd give you upgrade CD, which is a royal pain to use (I had that with the previous update). I'd rather have normal version than upgrade.

    and 23rd isn't that far off...
     
  10. zer0tails macrumors 65816

    zer0tails

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #10
    maybe Apple will release their version of the netbook? or a 30" LED Display??
     
  11. Eanair macrumors 6502

    Eanair

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2009
    #11
    Well, personally, this is how I generally base my buying decisions:

    1. Do I NEED a computer now?

    If you need a computer now (for work related purposes, or school related purposes, etc), I would get one now. Yeah, in the future, cool new stuff will be out, but if you need it now, the bottom line is that you need it now.

    2. How trustworthy is said "event" on the 23rd or 24th or [insert date here]?

    There are lots of rumors flying around about what's happening when and where and how much. Is it worth waiting for x days for a supposed update that may never materialize?

    When I was trying to figure out about buying my iMac, the earliest I would have been able to get one was March 1st. Because the rumor was that the new iMacs were going to be released on the 3rd, I figured I could wait two days (and if no iMacs materialized on the 3rd, I would just get them as they were). But the 24th is about 2 weeks from now. That's much longer than 2 days. What if nothing happens on the 23rd/24th? Will you be kicking yourself for all that anticipation? Will you be willing to wait longer?

    3. There will always be better newer shinier things out there.

    Sad but true. :) If you can get a computer that meets your needs and will do so for the foreseeable future, then great. It may not be the latest model/version, but as long as it is still performing sufficiently for your purposes, then that's what matters the most for me.

    I just got a new iMac, and regardless of Snow Leopard (which I personally don't think is coming out until June/July at the earliest), it's fantastic. :)

    Good luck!
     
  12. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

    ajohnson253

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2008
    #12
    What does it matter if you get it now or later. Regardless snow leopard is going to work if you get the iMac now or Later. Just have to install it later. nothing major, so you might as well get it now and have your fun.
     
  13. mashinhead macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2003
    #13
    i think the point is you dont have to buy a copy, it is already installed. either way i don't think snow leopard will be out that soon
     
  14. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

    SwiftLives

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2001
    Location:
    Charleston, SC
    #14
    Technically, no one has been sent an invitation for any Apple event this month.

    And if you can wait another 18 months, chances are that an even better iMac will be out - with Snow Leopard already installed for you. :)
     
  15. waiwai macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2009
    Location:
    Florida
    #15
    either get previous iMac or wait... The tiny enhancements they made to the latest iMac are a joke.
     
  16. colickyboy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2008
    #16
    Tallest Skil is pretty spot on with his estimates so if he says July or later, I'd run with that estimate. Although there was that slideshow screenshot of Q1 2009 as the target release date, Apple is in no way obligated to meet that self-imposed release date. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple waited until after Win7 is released so Apple can steal some of Microsoft's thunder.

    As for waiting, I considered waiting for Snow Leopard too but I'm personally really sick of waiting. How much longer am I going to force myself to wait? I've been waiting to buy an iMac since November. Then Apple released a statement in November that their holiday lineup was set. So I figured I'd wait until MacWorld in January. MacWorld came and was letdown. But the rumors kept coming that new iMacs were coming. So I kept waiting b/c I didn't want to kick myself buying too early. Now March 3rd has come and gone and I'm letdown again. So I just bought a prev gen 24" iMac 2.8 GHz refurb for $1199.

    Edit: Leopard is more than satisfactory...won't be crying even if Snow Leopard is in fact released on the 24th.
     
  17. PuckDaddy macrumors regular

    PuckDaddy

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2008
    #17
    even if Snow Lep comes this summer, chances are it will endure some growing pains ... and if it's anywhere near the "upgrade" that they made to the iMac's then we'll probably all want to stick with Leopard for a bit anyway

    I'll agree, I think I'm just going to go ahead and buy the last gen 24" / 2.8 for $1199 (refurb) or $1399 (new)
     
  18. blueicedj macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2007
    #18
    A job
     
  19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #19
    Nothing, anymore.

    You'd wait until Q1 2010?
     
  20. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #20
    For what may still be dual-core?
     
  21. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

    jmpage2

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    #21
    Mobile quad core versions of Nehalem are currently on the drawing board for Q4/09 Q1/10 and these are the processors that make the most sense for the next big iMac refresh.
     
  22. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
  23. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

    ajohnson253

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2008
    #23
    do people really wait like how they say they do? Is it that serious?
     

Share This Page