24" iMac or 15" MBP 128MB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jstad, Nov 5, 2007.

1. jstad macrumors regular

jstad

I can either buy a 24" iMac or the base model 15" MBP (with only 128MB video memory). What do you recommend? I have a 12" tablet notebook currently (up until I am authorized to sell it in may 08). So if I bought the MBP it would be used primarily as a desktop machine (with my Dell 2007WFP). So what do you think? Both are quite expensive and I just sold both my macbook and mac mini (if that matters lol).

I have two (maybe 3) main options to summarize:

20" Alum. iMac using the external display (2007WFP 1680x1050)

24" Alum. iMac (selling the external display)

15" Macbook Pro (8600GTM 128MB model) using external display

Opinions? Alternatives?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

If you really need the portability then the MBP makes sense. If, as you say, it's going to be used as a desktop machine then the iMac is a far better choice

3. jstad thread starter macrumors regular

jstad

The thing is, since I have the tablet. Would it make sense to have two laptops? Until I am authorized from my work to sell the tablet I am S.O.L. on selling it.

4. paddykev macrumors member

paddykev

The iMac still uses laptop processors doesn't it? the only mac desktop that offers 'desktop' processors is the mac pro so technically it's a desktop computer with laptop components but it's still a screamer...
    I'd still go for the iMac though, they look beautiful and so did my mbp but i dropped it and now its been dented and needs a new bottom case part which costs $200 which is like £120... to expensive :(

5. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I was in the same boat. I purchased the 2.2GHZ 15.4" mbp though in the long run. In a little while Im planning on getting an external monitor though.