24" iMac or new mac mini dilemma...help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by will0407, Mar 3, 2009.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I currently have a 2.8Ghz, 320GB HD, 4GB 800mhz ram 24" iMac. It's under warranty until end of July 2009 along with an unused applecare pack (effectively warranty until July 2012), so if I was to ebay it, I could probably get close to £1000 for it.

My dilemma is this- do I sell it and get the new mac mini, with 320GB HD, 2.26Ghz processor and 4GB 1066 ram for about £750 from apple on education price (i'm at uni)

I've managed to get a 20" apple cinema display on the cheap (£160) which I can keep (or sell for £250 at least if I keep the imac). Alternatively, I could spend even more (would rather not) and get the LED 24" cinema for £520ish.

Will the faster ram see an inc in performance, or will there not be too much difference due to the drop in processor speed?

Is it worth my while doing this?- I don't really play games, and don't need the screen estate, having a 24" is just a novelty, I can easily manage with 20".

2. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like your the kind of guy who spends money for the sake of it...

Sell the ACD register your Applecare as it wont extend the warranty any further then if you had done it the day you got it!

3. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Don't register the AppleCare pack if you're going to sell the machine on eBay. The new owner can then easily register the AppleCare under his name. Transferring a registered AppleCare package is a bunch of annoying paperwork.

Is there a specific reason why you want to sell the iMac? I mean except for the obvious fact that you have too much money on your hands and always want the latest and greatest? Seeing today's price increases, you certainly are Apple's target audience and the (only) type of customer Apple wants.

You should save your money and just keep your still new machine. I doubt that there is any reason why you would be needing a new computer so soon after you've bought your last one.

Except for the few people where increased processing and graphics power equals increased income and reduced costs, a computer should last everyone else at least three years before it becomes out-dated and needs a refresh. Hardcore gamers are also an exception to this rule of thumb, but since Mac users are no gamers, this excuse for a new purchase doesn't count.

4. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

If you don't absolutely need a new computer, don't get one.

5. colickyboy macrumors member

I can't speak to any performance increase but if you don't really play games, I'm not sure why you would care whether there's any performance increase anyway?

I'm not good at math but if money is your primary concern, then your choice is self-evident, no?

Keep iMac:
    - sell ACD for 250
    bottom line: have 250 in pocket

Sell iMac; get Mac Mini:
    - sell iMac for 1000
    - buy Mac Mini for (750)
    - keep ACD that you bought for (160)
    bottom line: have 90 in pocket

6. opera57 macrumors 6502

I would keep the iMac you currently have, and then sell the ACD. However, if you really want some new kit, the Mac Mini would go well with the ACD you have. It would also be a lot more compact than the 24" iMac. [​IMG]