24" iMac (previous generation) // sleepy pixels or what?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ataylor, Mar 12, 2009.

1. ataylor macrumors member

hi, i have an issue that i haven't been able to find sufficient explanation for. the other day i noticed a faint vertical line of pixels on the far left of my screen. they weren't black or colored, just faint/dim. i tried switching my desktop background, and the line was still there. i restarted my computer, and the line was still there. i shut down the computer, thinking that i would find the line there in the morning and have to take it to the apple store.

when i turned the computer on the next morning, there was no line. however, later that evening i noticed a reappearance of the line. i restarted the computer and left for a while. when i came back later, i woke the computer from sleep mode, and the line was gone.

there was no line on the computer this morning, although after a couple hours of use, i noticed that two lines had developed on the edge of where i had application windows open -- in this case, both yahoo messenger for mac. curiously, this didn't happen with other windows (finder, safari, etc).

anyone have any ideas? is this an issue with my display? graphics card? yahoo messenger?

thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I suspect it's the LCD. I've never heard of a problem like that being caused by software troubles. Is the computer under warranty?

3. ataylor thread starter macrumors member

it is under warranty, and i just noticed a line develop to the left and to the bottom of my safari window. sounds like i better head up to the apple store.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

5. ataylor thread starter macrumors member

does this issue sound like something they'll fix? the windows apparently have to be open for a couple hours, what if they don't take the time to do that? are they going to repair/replace my computer just going on my descriptions?

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes. Dead or stuck pixels are often (not sure about Apple) tolerated up to a certain number, but any lines ought to be covered by warranty.

I would hold off on taking it in just yet. The display clearly needs to be replaced, and the problem is likely going to get worse. Assuming your warranty isn't about to run out, use it for a bit longer until the problem becomes constant. Otherwise, you do risk getting it back with no problems found and a nominal "wasting our time" fee. No, they won't replace it based on your descriptions alone, and to the best of my knowledge the only way to diagnose a faulty LCD is visually.

7. edgew8 macrumors regular

edgew8

Take a picture or video of it next time it happens if you can, make sure you include yourself in the picture ;)

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

... just not like this!

Attached Files:

9. Fuchal macrumors 68020

It did this on my 24" when I left a certain high-contrast wallpaper up for a while. Changing the wallpaper fixed everything and it hasnt returned.