24" Imac problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DallasChief, Jun 3, 2012.

1. DallasChief macrumors newbie

The hard drive died on my 24" aluminum Imac. When I try to start up off my Leopard disk the Mac just keeps rebooting over and over. I was told this might be caused if the electronics on the drive had been fried. I bought a new drive and installed Leopard from another Imac externally. Installed the drive and the same thing. A couple of years before the crash I had installed Snow Leopard on this machine (the disk is now cracked). Now I've been told that Snow leopard wrote info to the ROM and I can't go back to Leopard. Anyone heard of this or have any ideas?

2. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

3. DallasChief thread starter macrumors newbie

Looking for a local place to buy Snow Leopard. If I understand correctly you have to have Snow Leopard installed before you can upgrade to Lion.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Not necessarily, if you are doing a fresh install and not intending to do an upgrade install (carrying over all the applications). All you need is a computer running Snow Leopard (it doesn't have to be yours). You can buy and download Lion and make an install DVD (or even a USB flash drive) using instructions readily available on the Web.