24" iMac producing loud static 'fuzz' sound from speakers

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Will Cheyney, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

I received a new 24" iMac last week. Love it. However, there is a problem when I have speakers or headphones connected to the machine via the audio out/headphone socket. If I have either headphones for speakers connected there is a loud static fuzz/buzzing sound that lasts for a minute or so which stops and starts. The internal speakers do not suffer from the same problem.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

2. Will Cheyney thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

3. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Not with my iMac

I had this problem with both Macbook and MacBook Pro. My iMac, and an old Dell Inspiron 6400 is spot on though. Exactly the same audio set-up and USB inputs on all.

4. Y-Guy macrumors newbie

You're not alone. I had the problem with an older pair of Boston Acoustic speakers, I assumed it was the lack of shielding in the speakers or wires. I went out and bought a set of Bose Companion II speakers which were much worse as far as the noise. I read about the ground-loop isolator and headed to Radio Shack to get a cable and hooked it up. It helped, but didn't totally solve the problem. I figured for as much as I spent on the Bose speakers this shouldn't be happening. I returned them and bought a Logitech Z-2300. No problems at all, even without the ground-loop isolator.

I didn't have any sound issue with my Sony headphones though.

The part number for the Ground-Loop Isolator is 270-054 and runs about $16, you can check online to see if the store near you has one in stock.