24" imac screen burn, just getting worse

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mentaluproar, Sep 6, 2010.

1. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I understand these machines burn images into screens sometimes, but they fade back to normal after a while. My issue is that its taking less and less time to burn images into my screen. It's so bad, I avoid using the left side of the screen because simply leaving anything there for a full minute burns the crap out of it. Oddly, this only effects the left third of the screen.

I remember taking it up to an apple store (not fun, considering none are near me. The address their tech support gave me actually went to a pawn shop.) but they simply told me to leave the itunes visualizer running every now and then.

Back then it was just mildly irritating. Now I cant do anything with that side of the screen! Would replacing the LCD resolve this issue?

Below is a picture taken from my motorola razr. I know it's bad, but that's all I have.

Attached Files:

2. cobrasneverdie macrumors member

so you left your machine running with no screen saver?

that sucks sorry to hear

3. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

No, I don't use screen savers on LCDs. I set them to turn off. I rotate the wallpapers though.

4. johnnyfiive macrumors 6502

johnnyfiive

Can I ask, why do you not use a screen saver? There's a reason screen savers exist, to prevent exactly what you are describing. Although LCD's don't have the same issues that CRT's have with burn in, theres still is a form of burn in on LCD's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_persistence

You can try this to resolve your issues:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2807?viewlocale=en_US

Good luck!

Also, set a screen saver! ;)

5. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I remember having traces on my screen when a render with Final Cut froze during the night. I fixed this with a tip found on the Apple website, sorry I don't have the exact url anymore. But this was about displaying a blank screen during a long time.

6. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

They put a strain on the LCD, wearing it out sooner. I have a vaio here when the previous owner used screen savers instead of shutting off the screen (why, I have no idea) and the screen is totally bleached out. It's not really that old either.

I'll look at those links later. Right now, I have to redo a jailbreak since iOS4.1 bricked the ipod.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

This may help - put up an all-white image and leave it on for a couple of days.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I have this same issue and it's on the left-hand-side too, just like yours. I tried all those tricks but they didn't really help. The burn-in will always go away overnight so not that big deal for me. I contacted an authorized reseller and they said they would change the LCD but since it doesn't annoy me that much, I'm not going to do it, yet.

9. TanToday macrumors member

10. foodle macrumors 6502

This was happening to my 24" iMac also. The problem has nothing to do with LCD burn in or dead pixels. The problem is heat, plain and simple. Download SMCfancontrol ( http://download.cnet.com/smcFanControl/3000-18487_4-102230.html?tag=vtredir ) and turn up your fan speeds. Solved the problem for me in no time. The machine is a little louder now, but at least there is no burn in.