24" imac Second Thoughts

Discussion in 'iMac' started by texas2001, Sep 26, 2007.

1. texas2001 macrumors newbie

I bought a 24"er about a week ago and I'm having second thoughts. I'm thinking of returning it and wait (not holding my breath) for a mid-tower Mac. Here's why: my three year old PC performs better on games than the several month old mac. I've tweaked WoW settings from here to Sunday and still get an average of 40 FPS. Even in boot camp the FPS is low. In windowed mode it's all good. But that seems a work around. I paid too much for the system to perform the same as my old system.

Thoughts?

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

What else do you use it for? Did you buy it just as a gaming machine?

If it's mainly a gaming machine, I'd probably take it back--Macs as gaming platforms have been discussed here extensively. If you do other things with it, and like it, then I'd keep it.

If you take it back with the idea that you'll wait for a mid-range tower, my best guess is that would mean you'll never buy another Mac.

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Why not just use your PC as your gaming machine (there may be other things you can do to boost performance, but I don't game on my Mac, so I wouldn't know). Anyways, surely you have tons of other things to use the Mac for. Then you can sell the Mac when (if) they ever announce a mid-range tower. In the meantime, just enjoy your Mac for non-gaming uses and resort to your PC for the games.

4. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

Wait for new drivers to appear.

But what was your primary reason in getting an iMac? For Windows gaming???

Sorry to put a damper on your hopes. Apple will not make a mid-tower mac.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I'm not sure what the OP wants the forum members to tell him and I'm not sure what's the point of his post but nevertheless if you are not happy take it back. There's no law says you have to own a Mac but it's highly unlikely you will see a mid range tower Mac. Apple has never made one since the iMac's inception so don't expect it. Good luck.

6. texas2001 thread starter macrumors newbie

You all brought up some good points, thanks. I had an old Quicksilver 2002 PowerMac and MacMini G4. I use the iMac as 1/3 games, 1/3 productivity, and 1/3 other. The iMac is great so I'll just be patient and wait for updated drivers.

Besides, a buddy of mine just asked me a windows question (which gave me the answer I was looking for) - what's svchost.exe? It's giving him errors. I just smiled to myself not having to worry about that crud.

thanks

7. iLikeMac macrumors newbie

8. redraidermacman macrumors regular

good call, i too love the mac and was tired of all the crap that comes with windows, as far as games go, they will get better, the drivers right now are just terrible and thats the biggest problem, i have a very capable Al imac and cant play C&C3 without it crashing often and the more i look into this the more it seems to be attributed to the drivers, so im hoping they come out with some new drivers before leopard but, may end up having to wait for leopard for drivers, but overall the switch has been teh best thing i have done in a long time, i love it!!! and goodluck to you as well,

9. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Eh! Sure this is not your broadband connection, I get 100 plus FPS in WOW on my
    Intel iMac 20 inch 2.4

I just use WOW as it loads I have touched no setting though.

10. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

From what I heard WoW was one of the only glimmers of good gaming on the mac at this point.

11. wazgilbert macrumors regular

Yeah, I play WoW on a lazy basis, and as long as the full-screen glow is off and ansiotropic is 'low' then I get the range of 45-100fps at the native 1900x1200 - make it windowed at 1200x800 mind you and it will fly over 80fps without fail. Now that's far superior to the 1024x768 on normal lcd/pc that I retired when I got the imac - I'm chuffed.