24" iMac Suggests 24" ACD?

Will Apple's next ACD lineup feature a 24" instead of 23"

  • Yes

    Votes: 29 51.8%
  • No

    Votes: 27 48.2%

  • Total voters
    56

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
6,746
1,023
I don't know about you, but when I saw the new 24" iMac, it got me thinking if Apple will release their new ACD lineup as 20", 24" and 30". It makes more sense, but do you think they will do it?
 

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
810
0
NY
Highly doubt it, the panels were recently updated, and there is no difference except for size. The 23" and 24" run the same resolution.
 

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
467
2
I suspect the reason for 24" is that it will be using the (presumably) cheaper and lower quality 24" panel that Dell uses in their displays.

I've not measured / worked it out, but I would imagine the 23" is 100 DPI, as all Apple displays used to be (but they removed everything about that as soon as the high-res Powerbooks were released) so they may keep that for "pro" work.
 

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
1,573
11
Motor City
The Apple 23 is a complete and utter piece of junk, probably the worst quality-control thing apple makes currently. The backlight bleeds, ghosting is terrible, and they all have a pinkish cast that even color correction cant fix.

I think the 24 is an admittance that the 23" panel is crap, and Apple needs to just go with all the other LCDs out there that are 24" in 1920x1200 resolution.

If apple released 24" ACD, I would be overjoyed that the HD cinema displays were finally fixed.
 

tweakers_suck

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2005
221
0
Los Angeles, CA
RichP said:
The Apple 23 is a complete and utter piece of junk, probably the worst quality-control thing apple makes currently. The backlight bleeds, ghosting is terrible, and they all have a pinkish cast that even color correction cant fix.

I think the 24 is an admittance that the 23" panel is crap, and Apple needs to just go with all the other LCDs out there that are 24" in 1920x1200 resolution.

If apple released 24" ACD, I would be overjoyed that the HD cinema displays were finally fixed.
Wow. Tell me how you really feel;)
 

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
2,137
0
I really hope so. I hope it happens next week because I need a display like now!
 

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
1,036
0
i dont really know. it seems pointless to go from 23 to 24 inch. im guessing that they thought adding 3 inches of viewing are wasnt enough so went with foour. Im guessing that the display sizes will stay the same with the intro of a smaller or larger size, but will have some new element to them.
 

stoid

macrumors 601
RichP said:
The Apple 23 is a complete and utter piece of junk, probably the worst quality-control thing apple makes currently. The backlight bleeds, ghosting is terrible, and they all have a pinkish cast that even color correction cant fix.
Shhh! Don't say that too loud or my flawless 23 inch ACD will hear you. I got almost no backlight bleeding, zero ghosting, and perfect color with no pink cast. Furthermore, no stuck pixels either. With the price drop it cost my only $899 (edu) and as a graphic design/computer science major I consider it the wisest financial investment of my nearly completed college career.

Try spreading the FUD a little thicker please! I think you missed a spot. :rolleyes:

edit: on topic - the 24 inch panels are, by nature of their lower pixel density, cheaper to produce. pity they couldn't manage to do away with the 'chin'
 

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
1,584
0
Gainesville, FL
RichP said:
The Apple 23 is a complete and utter piece of junk, probably the worst quality-control thing apple makes currently. The backlight bleeds, ghosting is terrible, and they all have a pinkish cast that even color correction cant fix.
Um....they replaced those silently at WWDC didn't they? I haven't heard of the new spec models having those problems.
 

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
2,137
0
Silentwave said:
Um....they replaced those silently at WWDC didn't they? I haven't heard of the new spec models having those problems.
There have been issues, since Apple didnt change the model number it is tough to know if the old or new displays are exhibiting issues.

I am thinking of buying one, but I am going to wait til next week just in case they do something.

Does anyone know if there are some good 24" panels out there?
 

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
6,746
1,023
^^^

Probably the best yet is the dell. But that is only because I don't know of any other displays that are high def.
 

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
829
0
Johannesburg, South Africa
I think there will eventually be a 24inch ACD, but not soon, me things Apple is testing the 24inch displays quality on the imac, if its adequate they will put them in the ACD to reduce costs, but I dont think this will happen soon.
 

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
2,537
0
England
suneohair said:
There have been issues, since Apple didnt change the model number it is tough to know if the old or new displays are exhibiting issues.

I am thinking of buying one, but I am going to wait til next week just in case they do something.

Does anyone know if there are some good 24" panels out there?
Hmmm... I know for a fact that all new 23" start with the model number 2A6260 and do not have any known issues.
 

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
1,573
11
Motor City
If you look on Apples Discussion forums, even the "new" ones are exhibiting problems.

I have had a few of these monitors, all with problems, hence my bitterness towards them. Now that Apples monitor warranty is only 90 days, when the thing slowly goes pink over the course of a few months, there is no recourse.hence my bitterness towards them. My 20" ACDs are great, I just am rather vocal, because, I rather have 23"s with the quality the 20s and 30 exhibit.

I went to the new Apple store recently, and even the more recent monitors on the floor had a little pink compared to the other displays in the store.

I just want them to work...they are so beautiful otherwise :eek:
 

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
2,137
0
BlizzardBomb said:
Hmmm... I know for a fact that all new 23" start with the model number 2A6260 and do not have any known issues.
That would be a serial number bud. And even the new ones have issues.
 

thedonga

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2006
35
0
the 24" 'dell' pva samsungs are crap for real work. too bright, bad constrast, horrible for photo editing etc. i doubt very much the acd will be "upgraded" to the 24 ", it is not a pro panel.