24" iMac vs. 1.8 ghz powermac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gPaul, Apr 15, 2009.

1. gPaul macrumors newbie

I am about to sell my 1.8GHZ G5 with 900MHZ bus speed and wondering how much faster a new 24" iMac will be? I mostly use it for final cut and managing websites.

I am looking at getting the refurbished 2.8 GHZ imac or the 3.06 one. How much of a difference would this make? I mean, since either will obviously be a great speed increase.

Like for example if something took 3 minute to render on my G5 how long would it take to render on the imacs? I have been looking for a site where you can compare things like that with older and new macs so if you know of one let me know.

Thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Lightspeed improvement considering how the original Core Duos easily held their own against the G5 clock per clock.

3. ZunePod macrumors regular

4. gPaul thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow that's pretty impressive. Also, can these computers handle HD video easily? I can't even watch HD on the G5

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

These things will handle even the highest quality video very well. About the only thing better is the Mac Pro.:D

6. dantherevelator macrumors regular

They handle HD no sweat. I watched 1080 mkv files on mine routinely, and that was a 2.4 with the 256MB ati.

7. ZunePod macrumors regular

I could do that on my 1.5GHz Toshiba

8. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

yeah, but can you run final cut pro on a toshiba and actually make a 1080 movie. didnt think so

9. gPaul thread starter macrumors newbie