24" iMac vs New Zealand

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crhudy1985, Oct 8, 2009.

1. crhudy1985 macrumors regular

Here is my dilemma... I have started saving money for one of two things. I can either buy a 24" iMac in March or buy a plane ticket to New Zealand. My college roommate is living in New Zealand for a year and will be returning next summer. She really wants me to come visit her and I have never really travled to the southern hemisphere before. I would be saving money on lodging and this would most likely be the only time I would be able to see New Zealand. However, I would have to take at least a week and half of vacation (I don't have alot as of now and I tend to use it as I earn it). The costs associated with traveling still apply such as food and activities. Also, I really don't like long plane rides (a total of 19 hrs on a plane).
    This money was originally supposed to be for the iMac. I have a 13" unibody macbook that is about a year old; therefore, a new computer is not a need (as of right now). I am completely torn and my friends and family are not helping with their conflicting advice. Please help

2. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

This should be easy.

You have no urgent need for a new computer. You have an entire lifetime to get an iMac or whatever the latest greatest computer might be.

How often will you have a friend/colleague living in New Zealand to show you around? I imagine this does not come that often.

Unless you have a strong aversion to traveling - travel while you can.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

4. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

No brainer here... traveling trumps a computer purchase any day of the week.

Go have fun in NZ.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Oh my god, take the trip to New Zealand! Experiences have a much longer 'shelf-life' and ultimately have a lot more value. (at least in my opinion)

http://upc.*************/uploads/macros/DOIT.jpg

6. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

^I friggin' hate you for posting that image! :p

Finkle wants a little binkle sweetheart, put it right there. DO IT.

Johnny Red neat. DO IT.

7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

On first thought, New Zealand. But on second thoughts.. also New Zealand.
    what are you still doing here?

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, go to New Zealand. Opportunities like this don't come around often, so go for it. You won't regret it.

9. crhudy1985 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I am torn because I have had to make this decision before. When I graduated from high school I had about 1300.00 dollars to either spend on a computer or go to Hawaii with a few friends. I went to Hawaii because we had free plane tickets. Even with the plane tickets I ended up spending almost all of my graduation money in Hawaii and got a really crappy used laptop that barely lasted a year. I mostly regretted it because we were too young to really do anything in Hawaii except lay on the beach (and I don't really like sand). This is different as I am 24, not 18, and I will be able to experience more because I will be with my friend who will hopefully have a car.

I guess I will try to build up as much credit hours as I can and keep saving money. Who knows... she might not be able to find a job and have to come home early. Then I won't have to make the decision. If you haven't noticed I am slightly indecisive. :D

10. googdot macrumors regular

This is a no-brainer. Go to New Zealand!!! And bring your laptop - heaps of free wi-fi here :)

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can do both

get an external display for the MacBook
    and travel

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

13. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

14. crhudy1985 thread starter macrumors regular

That is what my friend is doing for a month before she settles in Wellington to look for a job. She is having a great time.

15. googdot macrumors regular

The "Kiwi Experience" definitely suits a certain type/age of traveller. No doubt it's heaps of fun but it's independently limiting. I'm just letting you know of course...NZ is a great place to simply go around and find your own way.

16. suburbia macrumors 6502

I'll be the odd-man-out here... New Zealand looks like a beautiful land with it's expensive natural surroundings, but it isn't exactly France, Germany, Japan, Spain or Italy. If you enjoy the great outdoors, etc., then do it-- go to New Zealand. But since you mentioned you didn't like sand, perhaps save your money for France, Germany...?

OR

Buy the iMac. Do some work on it to earn some money, and then go to NZ.

17. sparky7 macrumors member

Yep definitely..

If your up for a party/adventure holiday go with the kiwi experience.

18. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

But... his friend isn't in France, Germany, Spain, Japan or Italy. Why would he go there?

Very random, lol.

19. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

I think they're trying to say those places would be better to visit, but I disagree. New Zealand is an awesome place to visit, can't wait to go back again.