24" iMac VS Vaio VGC-LV1S

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wodeh, Nov 2, 2008.

1. wodeh macrumors regular

I was dead set on getting a 24" iMac to mount on my bedroom wall until I was ambushed with shiny Vaio computers and Vista Media Center at the London Microsoft Christmas Showcase last week.

Then I found myself in a Sony store *cough "center"* gazing upon the Vaio VGC-LV1S, drooling over the presence of Blu-Ray which is actually useful to me, and being almost reduced to tears of joy at the presence of an HDMI input.

Just a shame it doesn't run OSX.

I'm no stranger to Vista, it drives me consistently insane at work, and I'm no stranger to the shinyiness of Media Center, which my Xbox 360s can also extend to other tellyvizzles, so the temptation to go with the Vaio is high and cemented by the fact it's 100mm VESA compatible out of the box. Shiny!

I'm really not seeing the benefit of the iMac, other than the fact it's a Mac and I'm supposed to buy it because it looks pretty and "just works".

If there is a November update, I can't imagine it adding enough to the iMac to edge out the Vaio.

Perhaps there's a third option. If the Mac mini gets enough of a bump then a 32" television, a second PS3 and a Mac mini would supply all the bedroom entertainment a couple could need.

Indecisions, indescisions!

2. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

This argument comes up all the time, and it always ultimately comes down to which you are most comfortable using. Personally I would rather use any mac over a PC so therefore there is absolutely no decision involved. You should make a compare and contrast list of the things you life about OSX ad vista and then about the actual computers themselves. It often times comes down too the fact that apple products are a lot more expensive so that can deter some people intially as well.