Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
My iMac has gotten in the habit of waking from sleep. I'm not sure what's causing it but the only thing I can think of is every now and then my BT keyboard (apple aluminum) loses it's connection which is also a new problem that's cropped up.

So my thinking maybe is that my bt kb is losing it's connection while the mac is sleeping and causes the mac to wake up and alert the user (or nobody since I'm gone) that the kb lost connection.

Of course by the time I come back the KB has re-attached itself, so I'm not entirely sure if that is even the problem!

Has anyone else started experiencing this? My mac used to stay asleep when I put it there.

Battery meter on both KB and mouse are full. I bought the mac Oct 18, got it the 23rd and am still using the same batteries.

WhiteNoiseMaker

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2007
I've noticed my MacBook wakes from sleep a lot, when I have my external USB Time Machine hard drive attached. Maybe your seeing the same thing?

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
I've noticed my MacBook wakes from sleep a lot, when I have my external USB Time Machine hard drive attached. Maybe your seeing the same thing?

My time machine is over airdisk, but it's also disabled at the moment. Ive got an iPod (or iPhone depending on what needs charging), a hp printer and an APC surge supressor/battery backup) hooked up via USB.

The printer is almost always off, so I'm positive it's not that.

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
My BT mouse is the one that usually loses connection...altho sometimes my keyboard tends to do it too, but not as often as the mouse
I donno if my iMac is waking from sleep, because im usually asleep when it is :)

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
My BT mouse is the one that usually loses connection...altho sometimes my keyboard tends to do it too, but not as often as the mouse
I donno if my iMac is waking from sleep, because im usually asleep when it is :)

well i think you'd know as the mac would be on when you wake up (unless you have it set to auto sleep, i do not). when mine wakes up it stays on even whe inactive.

I manually shut down or sleep my mac, it's just my preferred method.

serega

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Seattle
I think you wake up sometimes too when you sleep (just kiding).
My IMac tends to be wake up when I use wireless Microsoft mouse, but when I use wired Keyboard and mouse I have no problem with

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
hrm it slept fine all last night..

but i just had my keyboard lose connection, dropped new batteries in but it doesn't show full strength

diehardmacfan

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2007
same thing happens with my 20 inch

i put it to sleep at night and sometimes it sleeps the whole night and sometimes it will wake from sleep for no reason its really weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.