24" iMac with Time Machine IOMEGA 500 Hard Drive with new mac address

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macuser222, Dec 19, 2010.

1. macuser222 macrumors newbie

Greetings All,
    I purchased an IOMEGA 500, FireWire three years ago to use with Time Machine; however, it stopped working with a new mac address and I have no way of finding the original mac address. I only know it was the same, or similar to my Airport mac address. In any case, I do not care if I lose all of the information on the IOMEGA 500. I just want it to work again.
    If anybody can help me please give me step by step instructions to get it up and running again.
    I have a 24" iMac, 2GB memory, Intel Core Duo, Snow Leopard 10.6.5.
    If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

If you can assist me please accept my gratitude in advance.
    Thanking you -- I remain --
    Very truly yours,
    macuser222

2. simsaladimbamba

With "mac address" do you mean the MAC address (eg. 01-23-45-67-89-ab)?
    For what device exactly? You can look up the MAC address for your Ethernet port and for the AirPort card in System Profiler >>> Network.

3. macuser222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the actual mac address. I know where to find it but I do not know how to....

simsaladimbamba,
    Yes, I am referring to that mac address; however, I have no way of finding the original mac address. I only have the new mac address and based on the research that I have done it seems that you need the original mac address to get the IOMEGA external hard drive to work again as Time Machine.
    I do not care if I lose everything on the IOMEGA 500, firewire as this external HD has been sitting on my desk not working for quite some time now.
    If you, or anybody else can assist me in getting this hard drive to work again please give me step by step instructions as I am not a wizard at such troubleshooting.

Again -- I thank you.
    macuser222

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

disk drives do not have MAC addresses; that is an attribute of a network connection device. The MAC address is the unique identifier of a network device; for example, when you connect a Mac to the internet people think of the IP address xxx.yyy.zz.aa, but this is only part of the process; the real identifier is the MAC address of the device, which is usually hardwired into the device since it must be unique. I'm not clear exactly how you have the device connected; is the Iomega connected to a time capsule? Have you just purchased a new Mac? Why are you thinking of a MAC address?

5. macuser222 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know what a mac address is; however, I spent many hours researching this problem

I know what a mac address is; however, I spent many hours researching this problem and everything that I came up with says that in order to get your external hard drive working again, after the mac address has changed by changing the logic board, etc, etc., it says that you need to know your original mac address to get the external hard drive working again in Time Machine. Apparently, the external hard drive is looking for the original mac address.
    I have tried everything and the external hard drive will not work and it stopped working at the exact time that I got a new network card.
    I have seen instructions for going to terminal and typing some things in there, but again, it asks for your original mac address.
    I do understand what a mac address is, mine is no longer the one it was when I purchased this iMac and I am trying to find a work around to get my external hard drive, (IOMEGA 500, firewire) to work as a back-up using Time Machine. As it stands now it simply does not work and ALL of my research goes back to using terminal and knowing the original mac addy, which is the info I do NOT have.
    If anyone knows a work around I would appreciate it greatly. I do not care if I loose everything that is on the IOMEGA 500, Firewire as it has been sitting on my desk just taking up space but I would like to use it again.
    Anyone have an answer?
    Thank you for your attention to this matter.
    macuser222

6. simsaladimbamba

7. macuser222 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I plug my IOMEGA External HD into the firewire slot...

I get a window that says "Airport Utility was unable to find any Airport Wireless device. Make sure the Airport wireless device you want to set up is plugged in and in range of your computer, and then click rescan and try again.
    I am not connected wirelessly, am connected directly to cable modem and am totally baffled about how to get past this page.
    The HD does not even show up under "Disk Utility."
    I am completely baffled on what to do here. It would be too much of a coincidence that the HD stopped working at the exact time as I had a new network card installed.
    Thank you for sticking with me thru this. I appreciate it. I am at a total lose here.
    Again -- thank you for your attention to this matter.
    macuser222

8. simsaladimbamba

Do you have access to another Mac or even Windows PC or Linux PC?
    Maybe you can format it there or at least test it there.

9. macuser222 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello Again,

The light is nowon on the IOMEGA HD but it still does not show up under disk uti;ity and now asks me for a "mobile me" account, which I don't have or want.

No, I do not have another computer or Mac to do anything with.
    I am at a total lose.
    Am about to have company for about 1½ to 2 hours.

Will be back again after that.
    Again, thank you so much for your input.
    macuser222

10. macuser222 thread starter macrumors newbie

IOMEGA HARD DRIVE and change in MAC address

Ever since I had a new network card installed into my 24"iMac my Time Machine stopped working. I have done research and have seen fixes whereby you need the old Mac address. I 'think' the mac addy was the same as my Airport wireless card.
    Perhaps I should try using those steps and try putting in the mac addy that I do know, which is the wireless one. I remember even Apple was surprised that the numbers seemed to be identical. The problem is that the IOMEGA HD, which always worked prior to the change of the MAC addy is not showing up under disk utility but it is showing up under System Profile, under firewire!
    The light is on on the HD and it is making the sound that it always made when backing up info. I am at a loss.
    Does anyone have any idea?
    Thank you for your attention to this matter.
    macuser222