24 inch 2.16 GHz IMac or new mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by newt2mac, Mar 10, 2010.

1. newt2mac macrumors member

Hi guys,

I am outgrowing my dual G5 1.8 Powermac. It is a little slow and not running the apps I like to use as nicely as I would like. I have about $600-700 to spend and have a line on a 24 inch IMac 2.16 (2 GB Ram), the white one, for 600 or grab a new or refurb mini. Any opinions?

Thanks!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you have the monitor already, new mini. It comes with a warranty, can take more RAM and has a more advanced (if not faster) video card.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I second this. You probably have a spare monitor from your PowerMac so you could use that

4. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Depends on what monitor you have now. That 24" iMac is a white one, with a better (non mirror) screen than any other iMacs afterwards. It might be worth it.

5. newt2mac thread starter macrumors member

interesting. i thought the new IMacs were LED? Why is that screen so good? I thought just the opposite. To me, the new aluminum IMacs look nicer.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Some people don't like the new Macs because they are glossy so you may get reflections on the screen. That's an opinion question so you can't say it's better or worse as chaosbunny did. Of course the displays in new iMacs are a lot better with LED backlight etc but some people really hate glossy screens (I don't).

7. newt2mac thread starter macrumors member

ok, thanks, so would you consider $600 canadian (same as US) a good price for a 24 inch , 2.13 GHz with 2 GB ram?

8. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

YES! I paid $500 for my 17" a year ago... if you don't want it, let me know, lol!

BTW, Mac2Sell shows the value at $850.

9. newt2mac thread starter macrumors member

Ok, good to know, and I assume there are no issues connecting a second monitor?