24 Inch Apple display with older macbook.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by danchurchill123, Sep 2, 2009.

1. danchurchill123 macrumors newbie

hey guys im looking to get one of those new(er) 24inch apple displays and it says it connects with a mini displayport connector which is in the newest revision of the macbooks. problem is, I have one of the "older" white macbooks, which doesn't have this connection. what can i do ? is there a converter available? this is in Australia.

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

a new Mac is your only option there. Or, consider a different monitor.

3. danchurchill123 thread starter macrumors newbie

So Apple is pretty much giving a big "screw you" to anyone who doesn't have the brand new Macbook's?......great. I thought Apple learnt the errors of it's ways of being an exclusive and snobby brand...Thanks for clearing it up for me, jnc.

4. foodle macrumors 6502

You are mostly out of luck. There is a new converter box from Atlona that supposedly converts DVI to mini DP. Sells for $180 starting this month sometime.

5. danchurchill123 thread starter macrumors newbie

:eek:
    don't see how that is possible since the purpose of mini DP is to pass off alot of the display stuff to the graphics card on the laptop. but hey if there's a converter :)

EDIT: http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-p-17859.html
    so there's the converter. and it costs $180USD ($215 AUD for me). I don't think it's worth it since the monitor itself is already so overpriced to the point that i can't justify spending $215 on a converter. is there plans for a new line of monitors from apple since at the moment this is and the 30 inch is the only one available from them.