24-Inch (Early 2008) Not booting to cd or hd

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BigiE, Sep 6, 2014.

1. BigiE macrumors newbie

I have been trying to get my mac to boot for days now.:mad: When I power it on the apple logo comes up with loading gear spinning. Eventually it stops spinning and doesn't go anywhere. I have try to boot to techtools with no success. Tested HD externally showing 4 bad sectors. So thought hd was reason. Put in a Samsung 500gb ssd. Tried to boot from cd to reinstall os with same result. :eek: Don't know where to go from here. Any ideas would be helpful thanks!

2. Durkit72 macrumors newbie

Similar boat

I'm in similar boat, the only thing I've been able to get onto is single user mode and run FSCK - F, it was happy, but replaced HD anyways to be sure. Removed superdrive to remove it from equation.

Have checked battery, done all the resets etc.

The only difference booting from CD to HD is how long it takes to get to the point the wheel stops spinning. Oh and from CD I get grey screen swipe that tells me to reboot, HD it just freezes.

Sorry it's not help but if I get anywhere I'll post again.

Cheers

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I'd try making a OS X Recovery (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433) USB stick and try to boot off of that if the CD isn't working. You'll still have to format the SSD (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) in disk utilities from the recovery disk. If your CD is installed you should be able to select it as the start-up disk as well and then restart to install the OS.